Fmi 157 spn 18
08-14-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
RE: Fmi 157 spn 18
(08-14-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  They will install a new turbo and call it a day... Did you order an Inline Reader yet? Here is the one most all of us use here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diagnostic-Data...SwTLRfE6RB

You need to bite the bullet and order the Inline reader NOW. And I was not joking about a new turbo!

Those Cummins shop mechanics are sitting in the lunch room figuring out how to sell you that new turbo before you call to check up on them. That is their go to part. They will tell you that there is a new code, and it took out your turbo, nothing fuel related, but you need a turbo. They will slap one on for $6000 and send you down the road after clearing out the codes...

In a few hours, or days, the original code will be back, it always is.

When you take it back in a day or two because that original code is back, they will hold your truck for another few weeks and tell you it is the EGR Cooler failing, that was not a fuel code, it was a coolant code... That EGR Cooler is their second go to part...

In a month or two, when you are sitting on the side of the road with a boat anchor under the hood, they will be there for you! Now it is time for that brand new reman crate motor they just happen to have lying around for a cool $38,000, not including the install...

It will come with a wore out reman head, new liners thrown in that old dirty block and lots of shiny red paint with that 90 day warranty... Unless you want to pay extra for the extended warranty, which happens to be roughly the same as a new turbo and an EGR Cooler... LOL!

Then the cycle will start all over again... In a few months, after the 90 day warranty has expired, you will be back with your new reman motor using coolant. EGR cooler installed first, than in a few weeks another new turbo, and a few more months down the road when you are sitting on the shoulder with that boat anchor under the hood, scratching your head...

Don't worry, Cummins is there for you! When they tow it back to the shop, they will discover the #5 liner has busted loose in that filthy old wore out block they just sold you, seems that liner is bouncing around like a Mexican jumping bean and took out that new/old wore out reman head and the gasket... LOL!

See how this works?

Have you ordered that Inline reader for $200 off of eBay yet? It comes with the software... ;-)

I sent you a PM...
I looked up the inline readers last night and was actually going to ask y’all today which one y’all preferred. I will be ordering today since you answered my question before I asked it. Thank you
replyreply
Just heard back from Cummins. Said they put it on the dunk and got it to throw the code again. Said they pulled the fuel pump a part and one of the pistons was eat up. Gonna pull the pan and check some of the pistons in the truck. My question is how much is an engine rebuild. Or what is the next process.
replyreply
Damn... That is the first place they should have looked! The fuel pump, especially with that code.

You need to see what is in the fuel/oil filters, inspect the cam, rollers, lower end and injectors... Mr Hagg can sometimes save them by flushing the motor with oil and diesel... Still anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the parts. A standard in frame, you are looking at roughly $28,000 +/- with the grenaded fuel pump, probably more at that Cummins shop, and pray they don't screw it up, which is the norm.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
I only paid 28k for the truck.
replyreply
Maybe they can clean it out, like JimT's truck... He is sitting in Rawze's driveway right now in framing his motor... They did not get all of the shrapnel out of his... Ate up the motor. Don't know what to tell you.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
welcome to trucking you can buy a 5k, 50k, 100k truck and it might run upto 1million miles or it might not make it past the next stop light down from whereever you bought it.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
08-15-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
damn, 3 months on a new fuel pump and it destroyed itself! that's horrible.

To be clear, no one ever cleaned my engine out when I had my fuel pump plunger get chewed up. It ran for 5 months on blind luck before I personally took charge and diagnosed and fixed the issue. Then I drove it another year before, right now, doing an inframe. At this point I can only guess as to what damage was caused, if any, by the fuel pump since it's been so long.

I'm not suggesting you roll the dice or push your luck. Just trying to provide accurate information.

My inframe parts cost is about $19k, so far. That includes a new overhead cam and rollers, and crankshaft damper, in addition to the normal overhaul kit / new head. Doesn't include labor costs or any little odds and ends that might have been overlooked. And it doesn't include the cost of a new fuel pump, if you need that too.

These engines are currently running, what, about $38k right now new? New trucks go for $120k? That $28k you spent to buy a piece of industrial equipment for your business's operation. It has no relevance on the constant maintenance and occasional overhaul that is required to keep the equipment and business running.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
08-16-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
(08-15-2020 )JimT Wrote:  damn, 3 months on a new fuel pump and it destroyed itself! that's horrible.

To be clear, no one ever cleaned my engine out when I had my fuel pump plunger get chewed up. It ran for 5 months on blind luck before I personally took charge and diagnosed and fixed the issue. Then I drove it another year before, right now, doing an inframe. At this point I can only guess as to what damage was caused, if any, by the fuel pump since it's been so long.

I'm not suggesting you roll the dice or push your luck. Just trying to provide accurate information.

My inframe parts cost is about $19k, so far. That includes a new overhead cam and rollers, and crankshaft damper, in addition to the normal overhaul kit / new head. Doesn't include labor costs or any little odds and ends that might have been overlooked. And it doesn't include the cost of a new fuel pump, if you need that too.

These engines are currently running, what, about $38k right now new? New trucks go for $120k? That $28k you spent to buy a piece of industrial equipment for your business's operation. It has no relevance on the constant maintenance and occasional overhaul that is required to keep the equipment and business running.

I am hoping that that it is something that happened here recently. the code first popped uo on my way back from Cherokee n.c. to Charlotte n.c. roughly 140 miles and then I only did another run to Cherokee and back to Charlotte about another 300 miles. then maybe another 50 miles misc driving to the shop an d stuff like that. that's not to much driving since the code popped up. Hopefully the filters were able to catch most of it. I just did a p.m. on the truck roughly 10,000 miles ago I got my fingers crossed. hopefully I will hear some good news tomorrow.
replyreply
08-17-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
Where is the truck right now? If you're serious about getting it fixed right, you need to get it away from the dealer!! Tow it to Mr. Hagg or your just throwing money away.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Mr Hagg

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.