axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove....
08-10-2020, (Subject: axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove.... ) 
axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove....
I had someone with a Volvo truck here the other day and he wanted to re-torque all his wheel bearings. - It looks like no one has ever bothered to do it, so I decided to help him out.

His truck had those very annoying tapered retainer rings that everyone hates, and his were particularly rusty and stubborn because they were rusted up and stuck badly.

We tried a few different methods to get them to pop loose including hammering the center of the axle with a sledge hammer. -- His were stuck really badly, more-so than I have ever seen anyone else that had come here ... so I purchased a tool for them. Here is the tool...

https://amzn.to/3gMcZ4C
or -- https://www.ebay.com/p/26017018265

A couple hits and re-tightening the tool a couple times and they all came right out. It worked like a charm.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , marek4792 , JMBT , Pd6cas2 , snailexpress , Waterloo
08-10-2020, (Subject: axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove.... ) 
RE: axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove....
That Tiger tool company makes some serious pullers. Their u joint puller and yoke pullers are heavy duty simple machines.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo
Tiger Tool has some great stuff... I have one of their spring removal tools...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Same story with my Volvo a couple months ago. Rusted and siliconed on REAL well!

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Those things outta be outlawed for being overengineered. My 04 just a simple o-ring gasket and bolted right up without those stupid rings, but since we're on the subject of wheel ends and wheel end tools. What do you think about the "Dr. Preload" tool? Common sense would tell me to look at the manufacturers' manual for proper torque specs..
replyreply
My Volvo has those bastards too! I HATE them! They have been a thorn in my side now for 9 years. What I have learned is to replace them every time you pull an axle. They are cheap, you can get them at fleetpride. Also I put a bit of anti seize on them so they cannot rust in place. I don’t have the tiger tool, but I use a mid size air hammer and a blunt bit. Bring the nut out flush with the end of the stud and vibrate it with the reciprocating hammer until it pops the cone loose. They will actually start to walk down the stud toward the nut and you can grab them. It is not a fast process but better then the sledge hammer which was how I did it for years. My axle ends look like holy hell because of it. Anyhow, I’ll check out that tool. Everything I have from Tiger tool has been badass! Thanks for sharing Rawze!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
08-11-2020, (Subject: axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove.... ) 
(08-10-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  My Volvo has those bastards too! I HATE them! They have been a thorn in my side now for 9 years ...

If i owned a truck that required them, I would find (or make) some tall nuts that were that same size thread and machine them so that they fit the tapers and use them instead.

./uploads/202008/post_2_1597148265_04cd96d748b62b830bb5266b077b7f10.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , marek4792 , Volvo8873 , snailexpress
08-11-2020, (Subject: axles with tapered retainers that are hard to remove.... ) 
I was asking one of the master Volvo techs at my preferred dealer what the best way was to remove those cones. His response ..........."apprentices".

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JimT , snailexpress
(08-11-2020 )kryten Wrote:  I was asking one of the master Volvo techs at my preferred dealer what the best way was to remove those cones. His response ..........."apprentices".
Yeah, Volvo manual says "Hammer it as hard as you can"
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.