bought a 2017 kw w900l
08-11-2020, (Subject: bought a 2017 kw w900l ) 
RE: bought a 2017 kw w900l
(08-11-2020 )cheepjeep85 Wrote:  ... If i'm going to do a full demandate, then i really don't want to spend the money on a egr tune up.

u need to replace sensors and clean out piping anyways.. even if u de-mandate it, those sensors will make engine run not nearly as well... those sensors like the imap, exhaust gas pres sensors and a few others are used to make the engine run right and are all still needed even with de-mandate for engine to run right and be efficient. Engine needs to know what proper boost levels and exh. gas levels, etc.. are to run properly, de-mandate or not!.

I.E.> don't be a cheap-scate.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cheepjeep85
08-12-2020, (Subject: bought a 2017 kw w900l ) 
(08-11-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 )cheepjeep85 Wrote:  I just ordered the inline 6 adapter from ebay should be here by the middle of next week. Would you guys recommend buying a separate pc to keep and run insite on? I've been looking at dell refurb rugged tablet pc on amazon for this purpose.

Most guys just buy an inexpensive laptop and keep it off the internet and dedicate it to the truck, as long as it has a USB plug you are good. I would get something with an SSD hard drive, 128GB should be big enough, as Insite does not need much to run, just a copy of windows... And, you don't even have to register windows anymore, so you can grab a clean copy from Microsoft off the internet for free and use it without registering it, for FREE. I will send you some links that will help...

Me, I use my MacBook Air with a partitioned hard drive. I keep it off line, as windows is so prone to bugs and what not. I seem to use my setup on other folks equipment more so than on mine. I carry it in the truck with me all of the time, like everyone has said on here a million times, don't leave home without your Inline reader and laptop. You are the warranty station.

PM Sent...
ok sweet. i'll probably pick me up a little tablet pc for this purpose. sorry for taking so long to reply, went to bed last night, got up and went to work been busy since.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-11-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 )cheepjeep85 Wrote:  ... If i'm going to do a full demandate, then i really don't want to spend the money on a egr tune up.

u need to replace sensors and clean out piping anyways.. even if u de-mandate it, those sensors will make engine run not nearly as well... those sensors like the imap, exhaust gas pres sensors and a few others are used to make the engine run right and are all still needed even with de-mandate for engine to run right and be efficient. Engine needs to know what proper boost levels and exh. gas levels, etc.. are to run properly, de-mandate or not!.

I.E.> don't be a cheap-scate.
It's not a matter of being a cheapskate, it's a matter of not knowing the engine still needs those sensors. I'll clean everything up and replace them. I should get my truck in a couple days then i'm going to get to work on it. Lots to do, i still have to clean up/out my daycab and hopefully i can get it sold soon which will free up a significant amount of funds for my new truck. Thanks for letting me know about the sensors. If by chance a full (egr & dpf) de-mandate is done is it wise to put blocking plates in the egr? will said sensors still be able to get the readings they need?
replyreply
The only block, would be in the EGR cooler, the exhaust side, a stainless steel plug. If you do not have the proper SS plug, leave it alone. The EGR stays intact, and is closed permanently via the ECM. The motor stays intact, this is all done through software. Of course, hollow out the cans... Most outfits doing this work do everything opposite... Pull systems, plate, block and then turn around and butcher the ECM and never touch the cans... In short time, you have a cooked motor... And most guys will go right back to the same well that destroyed their truck for a fix... Stupid is a funny thing... ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(08-12-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  The only block, would be in the EGR cooler, the exhaust side, a stainless steel plug. If you do not have the proper SS plug, leave it alone. The EGR stays intact, and is closed permanently via the ECM. The motor stays intact, this is all done through software. Of course, hollow out the cans... Most outfits doing this work do everything opposite... Pull systems, plate, block and then turn around and butcher the ECM and never touch the cans... In short time, you have a cooked motor... And most guys will go right back to the same well that destroyed their truck for a fix... Stupid is a funny thing... ;-)
i won't be taking my truck anywhere to have anything stupid done to it, by stupid people. I have no intentions of trying to squeeze more power out of it (that's not to say if it can be done safely i wouldn't be open to a little more power), the goal is reliability. I am here asking questions because i want things done right, and want to learn what i need to know to make this a reliable engine. thanks for all of the replies gentlemen.
replyreply
08-13-2020, (Subject: bought a 2017 kw w900l ) 
(08-12-2020 )cheepjeep85 Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  The only block, would be in the EGR cooler, the exhaust side, a stainless steel plug. If you do not have the proper SS plug, leave it alone. The EGR stays intact, and is closed permanently via the ECM. The motor stays intact, this is all done through software. Of course, hollow out the cans... Most outfits doing this work do everything opposite... Pull systems, plate, block and then turn around and butcher the ECM and never touch the cans... In short time, you have a cooked motor... And most guys will go right back to the same well that destroyed their truck for a fix... Stupid is a funny thing... ;-)
i won't be taking my truck anywhere to have anything stupid done to it, by stupid people. I have no intentions of trying to squeeze more power out of it (that's not to say if it can be done safely i wouldn't be open to a little more power), the goal is reliability. I am here asking questions because i want things done right, and want to learn what i need to know to make this a reliable engine. thanks for all of the replies gentlemen.

Yep, that is the right attitude. Most power issues can be addressed by a gear swap. These dealers order these trucks with some damn silly gearing in them, like 3:05 or 3:25, etc... Those gears beat these EPA motors to death... You are in the right spot.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
More power = less engine life no matter who tuned it.

Hence why I kept my 450/1750 I'm almost 5k into my first oil change after demandate last oil change was 50/50 on miles (15k) with and without mandate and oil is just a slightly darker than then fresh with a 632k engine. And this little t680 at 78-80k has been walking new and old 379s, w9s, and 389s up some hills with 3.36s and me not going below 1450rpms on hills before downshifting. While getting 6.2-7mpg with open deck freight and cracking 7.5 when I slow down could do even better if I lived in flatter country but it's all up and down in the Midwest plus the wind this year always seems to be blowing the wrong way.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
I always find it funny when guys in flat country complain about going up and down hills all day... the wind on the other hand, wow, now thats a beast I'm glad I don't tackle everyday. Decent numbers Lonestar10. And thanks for being honest on how you drive to get them. Yet another reason I like this forum so much. Guys fishing stories on fuel mileage are backed by proven ways to achieve them.

Have you figured out tarping methods that are more fuel efficient yet? Like instead of tight tarping the load like a christmas present. Instead, tapering front and back of the load for a more aerodynamic air flow. Steel coils are a great one to do it with. Everyone thinks that coil bags and tight tarping them is just as fuel efficient. But i get a few tenths better by using my 4' drop steel tarp stretched out the whole way and I can actually put them on faster this way to.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
most of my tarp loads are lumber so they are 48FT long and square or camel humped. but i do haul coils out of st louis from time to time and i always try to tarp them like this /---\.

as far as hills i mainly run I80 East of Omaha to Illinois which is like ~~~~~~ also run I90 West of sioux falls SD. which is little less up down but long flat looking uphill all the way to rapid city.

my best mileage routes are 169/60 out of minneapolis down to I29 in sioux city to omaha and I29 between Omaha and Sioux Falls.

We haul alot of PVC pipe out of Omaha area and when it gets windy those 10,000 mini parachutes suck. my best mileage ive achieved is with 48k of block out of shakopee mn to omaha ne on 169/60 to I29 to 680 to 80 into Gretna suburb running 62-63MPH in 12th (13sp) cruise set with 7.5MPG and ive achieved that twice.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.