Busy busy busy!
08-12-2020, (Subject: Busy busy busy! ) 
Busy busy busy!
So after sitting at home for 4 months and then getting back to work ASAP!

My frankistien of a cm870 has been serving me like the good al mighty! Has been great so far I haven’t had any issues on the motor but more so on the Volvo side. Mainly electrical issues here n there and sensor in or around the cab.

I recently bought both of the belt tensioners, was only able to replace one of them since the other one has the Allen bolt going threw it that runs the ac compressor. The SOB is a little stripped so once I get more then 2 days of I can get to it properly. The markets are hot and some more then others so might as well keep working while it’s going strong.

Replaced the belts also while I was at it n didn’t see a need to skimp out on $160 worth of belts vs the tensioners came out $600 for both....

Also replaced the carrier bearing for the first time!.... that was fun... lots of fun when the sun was beating down on me at 105 degrees for 2 days. I struggled for 2 days, also figured out I have a bad drive shaft that connects to the first differential.... gonna have to replace that as well shortly or as soon as I can. I had a big scare that my ECM was going out but thankfully It wasn’t the case, it turned out to be just some bad wiring job on my end.

I finally got a fridge and inverter installed in the truck! This has made so much happier and healthier! Also saved a ton of money not eating all that shi#t food From the truck stops.... the food was making me sick n worse by the day!. Thankfully I was making enough to get that out of the way. I got 3k watt inverter from harbor freight, got it for a good deal/hook up since I’m in there every weekend lol. I know it’s not a pure sine wave inverter but it’s gonna have to do for now, I’m only using one thing at a time. Don’t wanna burn anything out or w.e.

I hope everyone has been doing good so far and keeping in good health!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , Pd6cas2 , snailexpress
RE: Busy busy busy!
If you were replacing the tensioners on the engine there is no way that should have cost anywhere near $600 for both. SMH... why didn't you pop on here and get find or ask what we recommended? I'll bet you would've spent $400-450 on everything including belts.

Continental, gator, Grote, Goodyear and a couple others make exact same "cummins" rebranded part if not a very close, will hold up the same, part.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , Pd6cas2
Keep up the good work Mr. Evo

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-12-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  If you were replacing the tensioners on the engine there is no way that should have cost anywhere near $600 for both. SMH... why didn't you pop on here and get find or ask what we recommended? I'll bet you would've spent $400-450 on everything including belts.

Continental, gator, Grote, Goodyear and a couple others make exact same "cummins" rebranded part if not a very close, will hold up the same, part.

Well damn.... I didn’t have much time on my hands at that point, didn’t plan on doing it right then and their but i said screw let’s just bite the bullet.

So my passenger side kingpin is starting to go or it’s already bad, to replace my king pins I gotta replace the axle lol.... it’s Volvo maintaince free version. Not sure how long they last or should last found that out when I went to get my manifold replaced. The damn thing had hairline fractures on it but luckily I got the manifold for free from the shop since he had a extra laying around for a
cm870.

The Volvo dealership is trying to help me out here but maybe you guys could help me out here better I added the part #’s.

Last 6 of the vin is 427982.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202008/post_3477_1597268094_3724873755789511abd90bc7342b3b17.jpeg

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(08-12-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  Keep up the good work Mr. Evo

Thanks bud!

replyreply
So here is the picture of what the carrier bearing looked like, the old one. The new one went on surprisingly with little effort. That was a learning experience! But a good one at that. I had help tho from a couple of Volvo mechanics, tho muscling it around on and off wasn’t fun. Especially the other drive shaft was a and is a SOB to take on and off. Will do that job some this month or next month.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(08-12-2020 )Evotrucker Wrote:  The new one went on surprisingly with little effort.

Hmmm, I don't know if this is good thing. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but all the carrier bearings I've replaced have been pressed off and on. I'd be afraid of the shaft spinning in the bearing if this happened.

Everything you've gone through with that truck reinforces why I will never own a Volvo. A non serviceable axle with wearable parts... sounds like Volvo engineering. I found a Hendrickson replacement with serviceable ends but its more expensive.
replyreply
(08-12-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 )Evotrucker Wrote:  The new one went on surprisingly with little effort.

Hmmm, I don't know if this is good thing. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but all the carrier bearings I've replaced have been pressed off and on. I'd be afraid of the shaft spinning in the bearing if this happened.

Everything you've gone through with that truck reinforces why I will never own a Volvo. A non serviceable axle with wearable parts... sounds like Volvo engineering. I found a Hendrickson replacement with serviceable ends but its more expensive.

Oh the axle can be serviced, it’s got nipples on em. You just can change out the king pins like a normal axle or like every other one. The parts guy at Volvo was skeptical at first also, he didn’t know that volvo made em that way. The newer updated volvo parts has come a long way! It’s just my truck never got the special treatment lol. Until I came along :p.

The aftermarket is where volvo is where it’s not strong at..... my friends who own the other manufacturers don’t have much trouble finding parts on the aftermarket seen. Volvo not so much lol.

replyreply
(08-12-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  

I've seen people change carrier bearings before and it's always a lot of heating and pounding. I just replaced my front carrier bearing last week. I pulled the front shaft and took it to a guy here that has a machine shop. Dropped it off and grabbed breakfast. Two hours later, new carrier bearing and front joint. He checked it and made sure it was still in balance and no other issues. I took it back and put it back in. Last time I did both carrier bearings and all six joints at the same time. That was May of 2018 and I took all four shafts to the machine shop, just easier and he checks them out. The front carrier bearing always goes out before the rear one. It holds up two full size shafts. I've changed out joints before but never attempted pounding off carrier bearings.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.