Engine fan
08-20-2020, (Subject: Engine fan ) 
Engine fan
Hello, so I have a 2010 prostar and the fan seems like it is kicking in way too often, even when the water temp is well below 200. I called international about it and they tell me it's from running the AC. Well, I know that's crap because I've tried running it both ways. When I'm going down the road it doesn't bother, but if I'm sitting idle or if I'm just going slower 25 mph or less it'll kick in every 30 seconds and run for one minute like clockwork. Is this normal? Would sure be nice if I could pull into the field without kicking up a dust storm.

Unrelated but something else that's been bothering me, sometimes I'll see white puffs of smoke out of the exhaust. About puff one/second, always figured it was regenerating. Generally see it when trying to get up to speed. Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: Engine fan
Sounds like a/c cycling. Are you saying you ran the truck with all the interior fans off and it still did it?
replyreply
AC will kick on fan every time the refrigerant pressure is too high. To check turn off AC when you parked or driving slow.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Turning off the a/c means also not having the defrost selected. Just throwing that out there because a lot of people don't know the a/c runs when defrost is selected.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Sounds like my ProStar... Normal and very annoying. It is the crap AC system they installed on these trucks, the programming. Instead of using the proven rarely ever fails approach, the idiots at Navistar had to reinvent the wheel. Never fix what is not broken. That is Navistar for you, they cornered the market on stupid with these AC systems.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , PuroCumminsPower
08-21-2020, (Subject: Engine fan ) 
(08-20-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Sounds like a/c cycling. Are you saying you ran the truck with all the interior fans off and it still did it?

No, the fans were still running but I had the ac/defrost turned off.
replyreply
If you have the bunk fan running the compressor runs no matter what you have selected in the front vent selector.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
it could also be faulty sensor or wiring to the AC high pressure switch.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , JMBT
(08-20-2020 )muhlum Wrote:  Hello, so I have a 2010 prostar and the fan seems like it is kicking in way too often, even when the water temp is well below 200. I called international about it and they tell me it's from running the AC. Well, I know that's crap because I've tried running it both ways. When I'm going down the road it doesn't bother, but if I'm sitting idle or if I'm just going slower 25 mph or less it'll kick in every 30 seconds and run for one minute like clockwork. Is this normal? Would sure be nice if I could pull into the field without kicking up a dust storm.

Unrelated but something else that's been bothering me, sometimes I'll see white puffs of smoke out of the exhaust. About puff one/second, always figured it was regenerating. Generally see it when trying to get up to speed. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the fan issue, but that puff of white smoke doesn't sound good. If it was due to regen it would be a constant stream of grey/bluish smoke. Or a brief 3-5 seconds of smoke while the temps climb, then nothing.

Have you hooked up instite or something and looked at the sensor readouts? It should also tell you what the fan state is and why it's running. I'd also be curious to know what your oil temps look like.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.