Fault Code: 1145
08-25-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
RE: Fault Code: 1145
air in the fuel on a common rail engine is damaging to the injectors and high pressure systems .. think of it like tiny razor blades going through the injector tips.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
if the fuel water separator is empty, it will cause air to get in the system.
What type of unit do you have?. Maybe a pic or 2 would help too.

likely the anti-drain-back valve in the fuel water separator .. or your sucking air somewhere before the FWS unit.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-25-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  if the fuel water separator is empty, it will cause air to get in the system.
What type of unit do you have?. Maybe a pic or 2 would help too.

likely the anti-drain-back valve in the fuel water separator .. or your sucking air somewhere before the FWS unit.

Im not sure the maker of this unit as there are no markings left. The second pic with my finger is current fuel level. Last Friday in Amarillo after PM it was about an 1” above the collar.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
take the glass bowl off it and make sure the o-ring is between the glass bowl and the lower housing and not between the retaining nut and the glass bowl. - I had a speedco once stick the o-ring and nut down onto the clear housing from top down then screwed the nut on and it caused mine to run empty like that too.

-- you might also want to pressurize the fuel tanks to 10 psi air pressure and see if something starts to pour fuel somewhere.

With a 10 micron filter in it, there should always be fuel up on the filter.

replyreply
(08-25-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  take the glass bowl off it and make sure the o-ring is between the glass bowl and the lower housing and not between the retaining nut and the glass bowl. - I had a speedco once stick the o-ring and nut down onto the clear housing from top down then screwed the nut on and it caused mine to run empty like that too.

-- you might also want to pressurize the fuel tanks to 10 psi air pressure and see if something starts to pour fuel somewhere.

With a 10 micron filter in it, there should always be fuel up on the filter.

I’ll head back over and check that.

And considering the fuel pressure drop im getting and 7 counts on fault 1145 for the #6 does it make sense do just replace that injector? Or am i just throwing darts?
replyreply
Checked the o-ring on the glass bowl, it was as it should be, between glass and housing. So, not sure what that issue is, check valve perhaps?

Talked to cummins about injector. Of course NO one keeps them in stock now because cummins decided to package them with the connector as a kit and you can only emergency order them at an extra $100. So a single injector with core is over $1100.

And I dont have a clue whether i should even replace the #6 or not. 7 counts of the same and only fault, 10k psi fuel pressure drop in 60 secs, suggestions?
replyreply
Having a thought...

IF by chance, that Fuel/Water Separator (FWS) got too low of fuel and sucked in some air, is it possible that it could have thrown that code on the #6?

I noticed it that I couldn't see the fuel through the glass bowl, but honestly thinking nothing about it I drove on. I had a total of 7 counts of that 1145 fault, but it was inactive yesterday when I hooked up insite. And now I'm wondering, did I get all 7 of those counts prior to the PM in which that FWS filter was replaced and filled back with fuel? Or did a portion of those counts happen after the PM as well? I would THINK that if they all happened before that it's possible that it was at times pulling some air into the fuel and throwing the code.

However the one thing that is the fly in the ointment here is the Fuel Pressure loss too. If I need a new injector, fine, but considering that injector is in stock NO WHERE and ONLY available through Cummins Memphis and MUST BE emergency ordered for a smooth price of 10% of the part cost, which is $1117, plus core charge I'd sure like to know for a 100% fact that an injector is what I need and not just a possible check valve for the FWS, or something else minor.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, suggestion or ideas.

My idea was to replace the check valve in the FWS (I believe those are replaceable) fill the bowl up to about an inch above the collar with fuel, take some fuel with me and hit the road (I'm covered with work right now) and keep an eye on the FWS fuel level and just see if that fault comes back. That's my idea, but don't know if it's a good or bad plan.
replyreply
(08-25-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  Having a thought...

IF by chance, that Fuel/Water Separator (FWS) got too low of fuel and sucked in some air, is it possible that it could have thrown that code on the #6?

I noticed it that I couldn't see the fuel through the glass bowl, but honestly thinking nothing about it I drove on. I had a total of 7 counts of that 1145 fault, but it was inactive yesterday when I hooked up insite. And now I'm wondering, did I get all 7 of those counts prior to the PM in which that FWS filter was replaced and filled back with fuel? Or did a portion of those counts happen after the PM as well? I would THINK that if they all happened before that it's possible that it was at times pulling some air into the fuel and throwing the code.

However the one thing that is the fly in the ointment here is the Fuel Pressure loss too. If I need a new injector, fine, but considering that injector is in stock NO WHERE and ONLY available through Cummins Memphis and MUST BE emergency ordered for a smooth price of 10% of the part cost, which is $1117, plus core charge I'd sure like to know for a 100% fact that an injector is what I need and not just a possible check valve for the FWS, or something else minor.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, suggestion or ideas.

My idea was to replace the check valve in the FWS (I believe those are replaceable) fill the bowl up to about an inch above the collar with fuel, take some fuel with me and hit the road (I'm covered with work right now) and keep an eye on the FWS fuel level and just see if that fault comes back. That's my idea, but don't know if it's a good or bad plan.

I had a concern like a month ago that I posted on here. I had my truck serviced (CM2350) fuel filter was replaced in the Davco. It was bone dry for 3 weeks and the truck being new to me it concerned me. Long story short I kept running it and never had an issue. Now it has 2 inches of fuel in it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
(08-25-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  I had a concern like a month ago that I posted on here. I had my truck serviced (CM2350) fuel filter was replaced in the Davco. It was bone dry for 3 weeks and the truck being new to me it concerned me. Long story short I kept running it and never had an issue. Now it has 2 inches of fuel in it.

bone dry, there is something very wrong with it. it should always have fuel up on the filter element.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.