Fault Code: 1145
08-26-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
RE: Fault Code: 1145
Bypass the filter for experiments sake and run your tests. Keep in mind you want to minimize the this but it will be ok. When hook it back up replace the secondary. Theres plenty of issues with the primary housings particularily the paccar one. That Davco is pretty good usually but nothing is perfect. Definately verify that the correct micron filter is in the davco, a coarse one and the restricted level will be down below the sight glass area and appear empty. This is also not reccomended to run the incorrect micron you can plug the secondary quickly cause yourself unintended grief.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , trucklogger2
Another question/thought I had was ...

How often are you opening the drain valve at the bottom to drain water out of it?. I drain mine about once a week or so and have never had an issue ... more than a million miles on mine so far, but ...

Maybe the drain valve at the bottom is going bad and sucking air?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-26-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Another question/thought I had was ...

How often are you opening the drain valve at the bottom to drain water out of it?. I drain mine about once a week or so and have never had an issue ... more than a million miles on mine so far, but ...

Maybe the drain valve at the bottom is going bad and sucking air?

I honestly haven't drained it that often and now that I'm focused on it that'll change to a point. I have half a mind to just replace it in its entirety. The fact is this, it always held fuel up in the filter and now it doesn't. It's only the why to be answered.
replyreply
08-27-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
So I've had a similar problem with my Davco (same as you have). Originally the problem was a missing O-Ring in the TOP fill cap. Recently I had a similar issue with all o-rings intact. I bought a new Davco unit, the whole thing (comes with a new filter too), for about $230 from the Pete dealer. I think my plastic housing is deformed as it needs to be way over tightened to seal properly. If your unsure about your Davco unit just replace it, it's fairly cheap compared to most parts.

Not sure if it will actually fix your code related problem though. Your rail pressure loss is post fuel pump, which shouldn't be related to the davco, unless you have 1 or more valves in the system that are no good. More likely rail or injector related.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
08-27-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
Seems I had a little more rolling around the back of my head over night...

Cummins says that 2 fuel filters are REQUIRED for these engines. The pressure side, engine mounted, 5 micron primary filter and an OEM supplied suction side secondary filter/water separator rated at 10 micron. Visually, your's looks just like the Davco unit on my Pete. Same location and slightly peeling black paint.

Also, the fuel system on these engines, that are equipped with a priming pump, is designed to bleed off air. Thats why the cummins docs say that pre-filling the fuel filter is not required (although the fleet guard filters say to pre-fill and have a removable plug to prevent pre-filling the wrong side...). So, if you're getting some air introduced from the Davco (suction side) the system should compensate.

If you get a lot of air then the primary filter could run dry and stall the engine. Also, you'd likely get code 559 for low fuel rail pressure. I know this first hand from my own Davco sucking air due to missing o-ring experience mentioned above.

My opinion: replace the Davco unit. It's likely distorted from years of mechanics over tightening the plastic. AND look for a cause of your massive fuel rail pressure leak. If you performed an injector/rail leak test as Rawze suggests (build pressure, key off then on and data monitor for psi loss) and lose that much pressure while the engine is off then the Davco is NOT the source. It's something in the high pressure rail circuit. Could be the injector, could be a check valve, could be something else. Follow the troubleshooting in quickserve. Also parts.cummins.com has nice schematics of the fuel system and listings of all the different components to help you find where they are.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
09-02-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
UPDATE:

Left out to CO on Thursday last week. I filled the FWS to the level that is normal and 40 miles later it was back down to the bottom of the collar. Put more Deisel in it, drove to Amarillo, CEL back on for same 1145 fault, FWS level back to bottom of collar. No power loss no nothing. Finished my run up dropped and headed back to Dallas. Stopped 40 miles east of Amarillo for the night.

Get up Friday morning, started Truck, CEL is off. Hmmm, odd, but okay. Drove almost to Dallas stopped for fuel, opened the hood to check FWS. Strange, fuel level sitting 1” above collar as it’s suppose to be. Drove to the yard and parked it.

Yesterday I pulled the cover to do an Overhead and check all injector electrical connections and harness. Connects tight nothing found on harness. Finished up the overhead. Buttoned everything up, FWS fuel level 1” above. Started truck, running smooth. Connected Insite to test the fuel pressure. Last week the pressure dropped was approximately 10k psi in 60 seconds, today approximately 6k psi drop. Still high but a heck of a lot less than it was last week. Im baffled as baffled gets but I do know this, that FWS went back to normal ops on its own and the truck straighten out, more or less.

I have ordered a rebuild kit from Davco and in reading their instructions on instillation of new filter and the process for how to go about Putting a new filter into service I can say that Lube Zone hasn’t a clue how to do that properly to purge all air from that Davco. I will be watching that from now on.

Im about to head back to CO so we’ll see how things go.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-29-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
UPDATE:

The $100 rebuild kit from Davco seems to have resolved the problem with filter. Once it settled out, fuel does fluctuate in the bowl just as Davco says it will, but no longer going below the collar. No idea which item was the problem, but most likely leaning toward toward an air leak into the bowl.

Code 1145 however continues in an on again off again fashion. Lately it has been off more than on and when it does come on it seems to be when I'm in a pull. Last trip it went off 500 miles from the house and stayed off from then plus an additional 800 miles all the way from Dallas to Boulder, then, back on. No power loss. No fuel MPG change. No nothing.

I bought a new injector (w/ connector) and I guess at this point I'm just going to change out the #6 and see if that's the problem because other than that...I'm at a loss.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Kubasj05
10-03-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
Don't forget to update this with the results after injector replacement and thanks for keeping it so detailed.
You may also (before new injector install) take your #6 injector to get it checked out by machine shop that specializes in injector rebuilds. You should be able to get a performance print out that will tell you condition it is in. It's a fraction of the cost of new injector however, if downtime will cost more than injector it's not worth it then.
Good luck finding a solution, patiently waiting for an outcome of this.
replyreply
10-03-2020, (Subject: Fault Code: 1145 ) 
(10-03-2020 )Kubasj05 Wrote:  Don't forget to update this with the results after injector replacement and thanks for keeping it so detailed.
You may also (before new injector install) take your #6 injector to get it checked out by machine shop that specializes in injector rebuilds. You should be able to get a performance print out that will tell you condition it is in. It's a fraction of the cost of new injector however, if downtime will cost more than injector it's not worth it then.
Good luck finding a solution, patiently waiting for an outcome of this.

Not to be a nay-sayer, but I am not a fan of repair shops rebuilding electronic injectors for common rail systems ... here is why...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...67#pid4367

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kubasj05

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.