Another oil question
07-20-2016, (Subject: Another oil question ) 
Another oil question
I'm curious what the jury thinks of this oil. The company I am contracted to has changed oils and is now using this in their company trucks. I know it's Delo, which should be a thumbs up. But, it is a 10w-30, which I know is a thumbs down.

I know being a 10w-30 oil and talking about it is blasphemy around here, but figured I'd ask the jury. I can get it for under $8 a gallon, which is the cheapest oil around. I know pinching pennies is silly when it comes to my engine, because I'll probably end up paying more in the end. But I have to ask. I figured with the 10w-30 maybe use two gallons of gear oil in the summer and one gallon in the winter. I only run in the northeast, so I deal with your typical 80-90 degree day in the summer and your below 0 in the winter. Another idea I was also thinking maybe run Rotella 15w-40 (with gear oil) in the summer and this (with gear oil) in the winter? I change the oil every 12,500 miles, which for me is about once a month.

They are also using this for gear oil.

Does this have the "good stuff" to use in my engine? Or just keep it in the rear diffs?

And this for transmission oil.

Once again, good to use in the transmission? I saw a list once around the internet that showed the approved oils in a eaton-fuller trans. But I have yet to find it again. I have a FRO-16210C transmission.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
RE: Another oil question
./uploads/201607/post_1367_1469023626_d2088b0cdf70aded2d851e084cf9c133.png

https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...10340.html

I've run mobil 5w30 up until recently but only stopped due to oil leaks and a aging engine. My c15 was running the same 5w30 and really liked it but once again...... oil leaks out of every possible orrfice. ... the damn thing had just been rebuilt but it didn't matter, the oil is so thin at higher temps that you'll develop leaKS.

If your adding gear lube then you are changing the viscosity of your fluid anyways, That 10w30 will become a 12w35 whixh not many can complain about I'd imagine.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
I don't know, I would stick with 15W-40 conventional, see that green warning at the bottom of that label? Myself, I'm sticking with what the manufacturer recommends, to many unknowns to fool around with such an expensive motor. Just my .02

As far as the transmission oil? I talked to a Delo rep today, their tranny and gear oil's first ingredient, the base oil, is from Exxon/Mobil. Essentially it is Mobil Delvac Synthetic, other than a few additives differences, essentially the same. Personally, after talking to the rep, I would use the Delo, especially if the price is right.
replyreply
(07-20-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I don't know, I would stick with 15W-40 conventional, see that green warning at the bottom of that label? Myself, I'm sticking with what the manufacturer recommends, to many unknowns to fool around with such an expensive motor. Just my .02

As far as the transmission oil? I talked to a Delo rep today, their tranny and gear oil's first ingredient, the base oil, is from Exxon/Mobil. Essentially it is Mobil Delvac Synthetic, other than a few additives differences, essentially the same. Personally, after talking to the rep, I would use the Delo, especially if the price is right.

Keep in mind that reps job is to get you to buy his oil. Delo is a group III base stock with no synthetic properties. The ExxonMobil base stock doesn't actually mean anything because it is the additive packages that truly make the oil.

Mobil's semi synthetic is the super 1300 which is a severely hydrocracked base stock group III. according to the government, that can be classed as a synthetic but mobil doesn't call it a synthetic. they rarely even call it a semi synthetic because mobil has higher standards then the others do. Whereas chevros full synthetic is a severely hydrocracked Group III posibly blended with group IV, Mobil's full synthetic is truly that..... a Group IV/V oil made 100% with synthetic base stock.

It's all marketing tricks that they use.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(07-20-2016 )Brock Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I don't know, I would stick with 15W-40 conventional, see that green warning at the bottom of that label? Myself, I'm sticking with what the manufacturer recommends, to many unknowns to fool around with such an expensive motor. Just my .02

Keep in mind that reps job is to get you to buy his oil. Delo is a group III base stock with no synthetic properties. The ExxonMobil base stock doesn't actually mean anything because it is the additive packages that truly make the oil.

Mobil's semi synthetic is the super 1300 which is a severely hydrocracked base stock group III. according to the government, that can be classed as a synthetic but mobil doesn't call it a synthetic. they rarely even call it a semi synthetic because mobil has higher standards then the others do. Whereas chevros full synthetic is a severely hydrocracked Group III posibly blended with group IV, Mobil's full synthetic is truly that..... a Group IV/V oil made 100% with synthetic base stock.

It's all marketing tricks that they use.

The rep did mention that, but the manufacturers accept it as usable oil for their products. Personally, I'm sticking with the Mobil synthetic. Besides, I cannot get Delo gear oil anywhere around here for any sort of reasonable price. And it is time to change my two boxes, so I think TA as they have the Mobil 75W-90 synthetic, installed, for $145 a box. Speedco is using Shell Synthetic, same price. I can't buy any of that gear oil for less than their service. Cheapest I could find, 7 gallons around here, was $360 of anything! This I will leave to the shop, those bulk prices TA and Speedco are charging are unbeatable in my neck of the woods.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.