SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 7/ SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 13
08-30-2020, (Subject: SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 7/ SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 13 ) 
SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 7/ SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 13
Hello good fellas,
I own Volvo Vnl 670 2011 with cummins isx 15 500hp. Dpf egr deleted. I live in columbus, OH and i was getting loaded with beer heavy load. After i started to drive some 15 miles i had to stop on a red ight. When i came to the fifth gear my truck start jerking and the whole engine was shaking like when you have bad injector, but no code poped up. Park on the shoulder i turned off and statr again same thing. I couldn’t go more then 45mph after that if i accelerate it was shaking. I went to go back to the mechanic and right before i get there the truck start to run like nothing happend so i thought maybe it was bad fuel that i fueleded the other day. Just to be sure i went to one shop replaced the fuel filter and when i start the truck i got this code SA 0 SPN 641 FMI7 and sometimes SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 13. I drove to michignan and back code is still here but truck runs strong. Went to cummins they are telling me turbo or the actuator or maybe wiring ( and i dont want to put it in a cumnins shop cause once they opened they be like u need new turbo and they qouted me $9.000 wtf. ) i have gauge boost under pressure goes to 26-27 i thing acts normal. Please any help or advice. Is it possible bad fuel to confuse the ecm and somehoe poped up this code ? Thank you for any replies!
Stay safe

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 7/ SA 0 SPN 641 FMI 13
Who did the delete? I am assuming it is a CM-2250? Looks like a code for the turbo actuator. Have you taken the intake and exhaust side of the turbo off to inspect the actual turbo itself? As far as an actuator, or turbo, YTS Turbo in Griffin GA. Do you have an inline reader and Insite software to run some diagnostics? If not, you will need that, or the dealer will rape you. And back to the delete, how many miles on the truck? has any work been done to the truck? If you do not know who did the delete, have you at least removed the cans to inspect that they have been properly hollowed out? All three cans? Many delete outfits do not hollow out the cans, and you slowly cook your motor, and turbo...

I saw the mileage on the photo, close to one million... Ouch.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
On quickserv, SPN641, FMI7 comes up as ...

Cummins Fault Code 2387 - VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding or Out of Adjustment. The smart VGT controller has detected incorrect stop limits, or the VGT is unable to move to the closed position.

=-=--===

The code is usually indication that the turbo is going bad and is hanging up, but ...

First and foremost .. you say your truck is de-mandated (deleted). --- This is a massive red flag #1 all in itself, regardless of turbo errors. More than 90% of all de-mandate programming is absolutely horrible out there, and there is no telling what sorts of terrible garbage that someone might have done inside your ecm. Most delete programming will absolutely tear up and severely shorten engine live and/or shorten the life of (or kill) the turbocharger after a while.

-- Q. number 1 would be ... who/where did the de-mandate?

-- Q. number 2 would be ... What was done to the exhaust, egr, and other mechanical systems on the engine and exhaust?. Improper mechanical mods for a de-mandate can certainly tear up the turbo and/or the engine just as badly after a while.

-- Q. number 3 would be -- Do you have a datalink adapter and Insite? -- and if not WHY NOT? .. as these modern engines require their owners to have a way to communicate with them unless you just simply want to give all your money away all the time.

-- Q. number 4 Do you have a quickserv account?.. if not, go sign up for it ... it is free, and gives you access to all related info about your engine including all fault codes, troubleshooting, diagrams, and even procedures on how to rebuild and repair it.

---------------------

- My first suggestion is that you stop guessing and stop giving money away to other people needlessly ... find yourself an adapter off e-bay for a few hundred bucks and get yourself a used laptop and pull that program out of that ECM yourself ... e-mail it to me for review so that at least you can verify that the program you have is not destroying your engine and/or its turbocharger. Does not matter how smooth or well you think it might be running... most deletes are downright damaging to the engine after a while. Never guess or make assumptions unless you know 100% what you have in there, and not only that, you should absolutely have a personal copy of whatever mods/program is in there in case it ever gets lost or some repair shop decides to flash the ecm during troubleshooting.. that way you are never at the mercy of the whoever made your program.

-- NEXT would be to pull apart the exhaust and ensure it is 100% hollowed out (assuming you live in a country that allows such mods ... *cough* ). - MOST of these shops have all sorts of false promises but in reality they are mostly piss=-poor and do not do the job properly. After a while, not properly hollowing out the exhaust 110% empty, etc. destroys the turbo or even worse, destroys the enigne. Still others do not bother to properly/fully hollow out the SCR canister (on the 2250, 2350 and newer trucks) 100% because it is a lot of work to remove it, cut it open, hollow all its guts, and then weld it back shut when finished. This leads to all sorts of engine and turbo failures after a while.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
Thanks for thr very quick respond. My boss deletetes the dpf and egr maybe 5 years ago, so recently i haven’t done anything on my truck not with the turbo tho. Recently i replaced fuel pump but never had prob with turbo. Also to mention the whole turbo waa replaces around 600k, now the truck has almost 1m. Never driven more then 65.
replyreply
Also, is this a CM871 or a CM2250?. Some more details would likely be helpful.

If your not sure what engine you have then you can just post the ESN# (engine ser#) on here so it can be looked up.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-30-2020 )Roadranger Wrote:  ... i have gauge boost under pressure goes to 26-27 ...

Boost under full operating load on a CM871 is about 37 psi or so, and about 35-36 psi for a CM2250 engine... if your only getting about 27 psi boost, something is very wrong.

replyreply
Here is the engine serial S79441395.
And yeah on the gauge for my boost from it reads from 0 to 60 and under pressure is like little less then half
replyreply
Cummins is messing with their website... Grrrrr...

The ESN you posted is for the CM 2250

Factory 500 HP

CPL CPL3491

ECM Code CL10049

Build Date, 04 OCT 2010

There is an open campaign on the emissions...

This engine may be eligible for a field campaign or TRP. Please contact your authorized Cummins service location for details.
Number Description Status
C2034 ISX15 CM2250 ENGINES RATED 455-500HP EMISSION RECALL CAMPAIGN OPEN

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
But, you said this motor is deleted, any idea who did it? If like most deletes, they rarely clean out the SCR can, while drilling holes in the DOC and DPF filters *(instead of making them all 100% open)... I would bet money that the cans were not done properly and the motor is now eating itself, which it has been doing more than likely since the delete. Is their an EGT gauge on the truck? Exhaust Gas Temp or Pyrometer?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.