Installing Solar on the truck...
08-30-2020, (Subject: Installing Solar on the truck... ) 
RE: Installing Solar on the truck...
You can run anything, wet, gel, AGM or lithium if you have the correct controller. They, the wizards of solar, recommend 100 Amp Hour batteries or greater to run a house or shed, where you are running actual appliances and what not off of the batteries and an inverter.

Me, I have the 75ah Duracells, along with an 100ah+ AGM. The controller I purchased can charge both simultaneously, so not concerned there. What I want to do is maintain the batteries and occasionally run a light load, mainly on 12v. Not operate everything on the truck, like AC and appliances and keep the APU usage to a minimum.

My plan is to tend the batteries and cut down on fuel consumption, which is very doable with this set up if everything I have read is true. There are more than a few videos out there on trucking companies putting these panels on their fleet trucks to save money. And from what I have seen, it is working in regards to financial savings, which is my goal.

The Thermo King units use a 50w solar panel and a very simple $3 controller to maintain batteries. That is doable too, I would say for around $200, if you just want to keep the battery bank fresh and not run anything in the truck, other than say charge a phone or laptop.

I'll let you know how it goes, as it will probably be a week or two until I can get to the install.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing Solar on the truck... - Waterloo - 08-30-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.