Installing Solar on the truck...
09-12-2020, (Subject: Installing Solar on the truck... ) 
RE: Installing Solar on the truck...
Well, I finally finished, LOL! What a F'n NIGHTMARE! I spent more time driving back and forth to and from the house, and the even closer Home Depot... I spent more time running for the stupidest things, stuff I have at the house. But, it was quicker to run to HD than to the house for stuff like a bag of screws, literally. Just shaking my head...

And, I had a plan, I thought it out, I wrote it down, schematics, parts list, etc... BS, once I got into it... The best laid plans... And Murphy! I'm the poster child.

I got into this, thought it would take three days at most... It would have in my driveway... Stupid at every turn, need a certain sized screw, need a certain length screwdriver, 10 feet of cable is not enough, out of zip ties, need two more in line fuses, and it went on and on like that.

The issue, I had to rewire most of the sleeper. I had everything on a battery isolator, that was the issue. I removed that, and the fun began! I wired everything up to the solar in the sleeper... I have nothing running off of the trucks factory system, everything is off the batteries and two Blue Seas fuse panels, there is no longer any ignition control. The key turns nothing off, everything has to be done manually. I do that with remote controls, I wired another one in tonight, for a total of three controlling the fans and stereo, and one going in tomorrow for the inverter, I did not have time to install that, not worried about it at this point, as the inverter is now mounted under the cabinet behind the driver seat, it is right there, easy access.

Anyhow, the panels are in, the controller is in, the sleeper is rewired and I have more fused links than Carter has liver pills. Thank God the local stereo shop carried what I needed.

The solar panel controller came with a really cool monitor screen, it is like 3x3 inches, but tells me everything going on with the system. At around 1900, the sun was nearly set, I was still getting 4 amps off the panels.

The install itself, if going into a non Waterloo truck, would be pretty quick, 6 hours tops if you stay away from the beer, have lunch, have the tools (stereo install tools), and a couple of trips to the hardware store. It was honestly that easy.

I would post some photos, but I left the phone in the truck, it was 2050 when I left the parking area, and the Vodka store closed at 2100... I made it. ;-)

I'm kind of pumped right now with these panels, they were charging the batteries, and were keeping up with my three fans running, interior lights on, and this was as the sun was setting. They were holding the charge in the battery.

Oh, the inverter, I finished that today too, what a night and day difference over that 1800 watt Trip Lite from Thermo King. I was finally able to use my heat gun in the truck, I made a dozen trips to the house to use the stupid thing on the cabling. The heat gun is rated at 1500 watts, but the dirty Trip Lite would not even fire up the gun. This new 2200 watt inverter and my Wagner heat gun, it heats up faster than it does at the house. Honestly blew me away, it heated up that fast.

If you are in the market for an inverter, get a pure sine wave, spend the extra dollars. And 2200 watts is going to be fine in my truck, no need to go larger. The extra outlets on the 3000 watt inverter would be nice, but I really do not need them. This baby will run everything I need.

I'm pumped, and cannot wait to get back out on the road to see how everything works out, and any fuel savings.

Just from what I saw once the panels were up and running, I think the ROI on these panels will be rather quick. I probably have around $700 in everything, including the rewire of my entire sleeper. I'm honestly thinking around two months. If it stays cool out, even sooner. I will let you know.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hhow55 , JMBT , PuroCumminsPower

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing Solar on the truck... - Waterloo - 09-12-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.