Installing Solar on the truck...
09-13-2020, (Subject: Installing Solar on the truck... ) 
RE: Installing Solar on the truck...
(09-08-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(09-07-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  If you wanted a much cleaner look to hold those down you could use heavy duty adhesive backed Hook and loop (velcro) 10lb rating or better. I used the stuff on my 2 roof mounted strobe lights. Clean the surface with some alcohol. Peal 1 side of the velcro and stick it to what your putting on the truck then peal the other side and stick it to the roof. For an added layer of securement and longevity run a bead of RTV silcon around the entire edge to seal out water and dirt from getting in and under the velcro. Those strobes never came off the roof in 6 years and are still up there.

The bigger strobes I had on the previous truck to this last one I added a bead of 2 part epoxy to the leading and trailing sides. This was waaaay over kill but I was afraid a tree strike would tear them off. I whacked quite a few and they never came off. But I also had a hard time getting them off by breaking the bead of epoxy with a chisel and it left 2 small lines of it on the roof. But it was on the roof. The only people that can see them are the government agency tracking you....

I thought of using the hook and loop, many guys do, even with the tape. But, from everything I have read, the tape will suffice. And, there is a piece of corrugated plastic cardboard under each panel for cooling.

I wish I could have gotten my fat ass on the roof, and was going to do just that, but after getting up there and pushing on the actual roof, I found it to be paper thin. I was pushing it in with ease, no support on the plastic or fiberglass.

All I could see was it cracking... A 90lb little girl would probably do fine up there, I could not see it supporting much more than that. So, I did the stretch routine, with the wind and my tape fluttering and the ladder slipping...

The good thing, we are the only folks that will more than likely ever see the panels on the roof. Unless I'm rolling under an overpass... As long as they stay put, I will be happy, and honestly, I don't see them going anywhere. That EternaBond along with the Gorilla tape, both are very tough.

The roofs are really very strong. I'm like 230 and have been all over mine over the years. From taking the wind jammer off to putting the AC and strobes up there. I did mount a 4x4 sheet of aluminum up there to help keep the AC sturdy. If you pull down the head linear it is very well made.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing Solar on the truck... - Ricky - 09-13-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.