Need Help ASAP
08-31-2020, (Subject: Need Help ASAP ) 
Need Help ASAP
Just picked up a load and on a busy highway DPF light came up. I was hoping for self regen but less than a minute engine shutdown light started blinking. I don’t see a force regen bottom
Please help what should I do. Thanks
replyreply
RE: Need Help ASAP
Unfortunately, these trucks are not "drive it till the lights come on"... you will always have problems if the emissions systems are not kept after regularly every 3 months or so BEFORE the lights start showing up.

The DPF system does not make soot and clog up on its own ... it collects it. -- Something is wrong with the engine if you are getting DPF issues.

When is the last time you replaced the IMAP and other engine sensors?... cleaned the egr system out?

How much oil does the engine consume?

Any coolant losses?

-- Also, what is the regen history? -- Truck usually does not get into that much of a dire need situation unless it has been neglected and no one has been keeping after the regen system, ensuring the average in the graph is staying less than 3.0 inhg.

Start by hooking up Insite and see what the problem is. Every person who owns a truck with an ISX should also own a laptop, an adapter, and a copy of Insite... simply to prevent a towing bill, or getting ripped off and taken advantage of, and also to keep after the regen history and to help keep you off the side of the roads every time it hiccups.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rolling18
(08-31-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Unfortunately, these trucks are not "drive it till the lights come on"... you will always have problems if the emissions systems are not kept after regularly every 3 months or so BEFORE the lights start showing up.

The DPF system does not make soot and clog up on its own ... it collects it. -- Something is wrong with the engine if you are getting DPF issues.

When is the last time you replaced the IMAP and other engine sensors?... cleaned the egr system out?

How much oil does the engine consume?

Any coolant losses?

-- Also, what is the regen history? -- Truck usually does not get into that much of a dire need situation unless it has been neglected and no one has been keeping after the regen system, ensuring the average in the graph is staying less than 3.0 inhg.

Start by hooking up Insite and see what the problem is. Every person who owns a truck with an ISX should also own a laptop, an adapter, and a copy of Insite... simply to prevent a towing bill, or getting ripped off and taken advantage of, and also to keep after the regen history and to help keep you off the side of the roads every time it hiccups.

Thank you Rawze for your input
I have driven this truck e little over a year
I replaced the intake , differential, and thermometer sensor Sensor next to it about 4 months ago
I Don’t have the history of the dpf clean up
I add 1 gallon of oil around 6-7000 miles
Not much coolant loss
This is what truck give me
FMI 0. SPN 3251
replyreply
Sounds like the cans are plugged according to the code, and your symptoms, pointing to the DOC can being face plugged, loaded with soot... You need Insite and an Inline reader to properly diagnose. You are damaging the motor at this point. Is this your truck or a company truck?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
I dont know anything about the emissions systems and shutdowns, but can this guy get moving again by disconnecting the exhaust pipe at the turbo if the dpf is completely plugged? He said he's shitdown on a busy highway. Im sure getting rolling to safety would be the highest priority for him.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(08-31-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I dont know anything about the emissions systems and shutdowns, but can this guy get moving again by disconnecting the exhaust pipe at the turbo if the dpf is completely plugged? He said he's shitdown on a busy highway. Im sure getting rolling to safety would be the highest priority for him.

If the enigne is shutting down, there is likely nothing much at this point he can likely do to get if off the side of the roads. Engine will just shut down again.

I have heard some guys disconnecting the speed sensor off the back of the tranny when they go into severe derate, but if it is actually shutting down .. not sure that would do any good.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Call a hook...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz
(08-31-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Call a hook...

What can I do with the load?
I called the broker to find a power only but have not heard from them yet
replyreply
You need to find a place to tow the truck to that you can safely take the trailer, the towing company should be able to assist in that area. See if the tow truck driver can get you to a spot and drop the trailer, he can drag you out from under the trailer so someone else can deliver load. Or you can rent a truck. Preferably do all of this at the shop you are being towed too. At this point, any dealer/shop will do, you have emissions issues, so any shop that deals with Cummins will be able to take care of you.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.