Chaca Chaca Choo choo
09-02-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
Chaca Chaca Choo choo
Volvo with Cummins isx 622k miles started to regen more frequently 3 times in less than 2000 miles, typically loaded no heavier than 30 thousand pounds and the last regen lasted more than the usually 40 minutes but this time started spewing white blueish smoke from the stack followed with a foul mixed chemical smell. Than had the red triangle stop engine light as I was traveling on 81 south. So I did that, waited for it to cool down turned it back on and performed a parked regen.. Went on to deliver the load and ever since the truck sputters climbing the littlest grade so now I'm giving it boost and it seems to decipate a little but still continues to sputter. I have no check engine light and still sputters or feels like it wants to choke.. I did have the dpf filters baked cleaned a few months ago.. Soooo don't know what to do next... help guys and thanks in advance
replyreply
09-02-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
RE: Chaca Chaca Choo choo
Which engine? 871/2250/2350?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's a 2250 or 2350 with SCR and that the stop engine light was due to SCR Inlet Temp too high???

---------------

Edit:

Either way, with or without SCR, its likely the fuel being injected into the exhaust is not oxidizing properly in the DOC and burning later then it should or not burning fully. This could be due to a DOC that is no good, an exhaust leak screwing up the oxidation, maybe a clogged up or leaking DPF injector resulting in too much or too concentrated (bigger droplets instead of a mist) fuel in the exhaust. It could also be turbo or EGR related (causing excessive soot production), but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion until exploring other parts first...

Such as an EGR tuneup. When was the last time you went through the systems and cleaned things up/changed sensors? Might not be the direct cause, but will definitely be a factor in system performance.

Air filter? new, old, clogged up?

It's hard to say exactly what the cause may be. Could be a combination of things. Maybe start at the DPF injector and work your way back. Pop the injector off, make sure it isn't leaking and there isn't a wall of soot blocking it's spray pattern into the exhaust. --- If you DO find heavy soot buildup it's likely due to a leaky injector, a malfunctioning DPF Purge Air Actuator (contributing to a leaky injector) or burnt oily sooty exhaust collecting in there.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-03-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
should also not rule out that the exhaust may be getting clogged up for other reasons ... here is one fine example of that/..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-03-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
Indeed it is a 2013 isx 2250, I haven't replaced tne air filter nor have I done an egr tune up. I do however change the oil every 10k miles to minimize soot build up also never idle the motor. I will consider all these things you mentioned and have my mechanic in New York work on it .. Can't thank you guys enough for helping me get to the key factors and quick response.
replyreply
09-04-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
Famous last words... Have my mechanic work on it...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
I do not get how some people cannot turn a wrench to save their lives? They have this website overloaded with soooo much information that one could never stop learning. Easy to grab a wrench and git r’ done! but yet “my mechanic” is the one to fix it... WTF?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(09-04-2020 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  I do not get how some people cannot turn a wrench to save their lives? They have this website overloaded with soooo much information that one could never stop learning. Easy to grab a wrench and git r’ done! but yet “my mechanic” is the one to fix it... WTF?

I think it takes getting burned a few times by the "Mechanic", and then they wake up. Especially something as easy as changing a few sensors. Unreal. I should be a mechanic, I would be making bank. LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
I had that same issue with regens leading up to my demandate. Stop engine light due to high scr inlet temps, bluish-white smoke from the exhaust (with a heavy fuel smell and film coating everything behind my weed burner exhaust) due to the DPF temps not climbing high enough to ignite the aftertreatment fuel properly. Looking back it was most likely the DOC needing replacement coupled with the dpf injector getting clogged up with soot.

Can't say for certain the exact reasons for his trouble, but the scenario is all too familiar.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-07-2020, (Subject: Chaca Chaca Choo choo ) 
Thanks JimT and thank you Mr. Rawze
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.