CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974
09-04-2020, (Subject: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974 ) 
CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974
Hi Folks.

2013 CM2250 ISX 600. Bought it used a few months ago. 700k clicks. Got a decent deal on it understanding buying a 700k 18k hour engine that pulled heavy.

Had a def pump issue that derated the truck last week - replaced that. (bypassed the engine shutoff by removing the speedometer sensor at the drive shaft - not condoning this in anyways, but I wasnt ready to pay for a 500 dollar tow. Did my research and understood the risks of continuing forward). Anyways replaced that pump and now I've gotten the following code:

SPN 101 FMI 15 - Crankcase Pressure

Previously had taken the truck to Cummins (our other cummins are under warranty and it was the easiest option available at the time) and they ended up putting the truck on a Dyno to test some fault that never appeared again after i cleaned up the breather tube lines for the fuel tanks. With that Dyno test they realized that the blowby was 19 lbs and spec says should be under 18. I'll have to do the test on the turbo from Rawze's youtube post, but knowing the above information is there anything I should do prior to that. I'd like to run the truck for a few more months at least before I seriously contemplate a re-build, that would help with cashflow.

Was thinking i'd clean the sensor and plug it back in as a first step?

Thanks,

HG
replyreply
RE: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974
EGR Tuneup, replace the sensors, Intake manifold and Exhaust back pressure sensor. Go from there, odds are you need the in frame. And do NOT just take it anywhere! Been there, and done that... Not many shops in the USA that rebuild these motors do it properly, maybe one or two. Mr Hagg is a trusted shop, no clue who the other shop is. For what it is worth, unless you do it yourself, and have the tools to machine the block and set the liners properly.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Guessing you checked the crankcase filter? They make a maintenance free filter that may help with your crankcase pressure issues for a little while.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620
09-05-2020, (Subject: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974 ) 
Thanks folks. Yeah it’s now the maintenance free filter for the crankcase. I’m out of BC Canada. There’s a couple of “good” very detailed shops here. They were recommended by a fellow who basically rebuilds injectors for a living and is trustworthy... the other option is to get in touch with mommaburt etc. Out in AB.

The codes gone, only comes when its pulling hard up the hills, I’ll do the turbo check this weekend hopefully. What’s involved in an EGR tuneup?

HG
replyreply
Like I said above, replace the key sensors on the motor, there is a video in the video section of Rawze doing the tuneup to an 871, pretty similar, you have one less sensor, the differential pressure sensor is not on your particular motor, but the intake manifold pressure sensor and Exhaust back [ressure sensor are. If you are working the motor hard, it is best to probably replace the intake sensor twice a year and the back pressure sensor yearly.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(09-05-2020 )Hermjeji Wrote:  Thanks folks. Yeah it’s now the maintenance free filter for the crankcase. I’m out of BC Canada. There’s a couple of “good” very detailed shops here. They were recommended by a fellow who basically rebuilds injectors for a living and is trustworthy...

if it is not the shop that Unilevers/Mommaburt has in AB ... I would not trust them to throw a wrench at em... I don;t care how many recommendations they had. Like stated earlier ... Too many idiots out there who can;t figure out how to build an ISX worth snot any more and when you want it built the ways that are recommended on this forum, most shops just want to argue with ya due to sheer arrogance and you end up with a bigger mess than when you started.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
10-15-2020, (Subject: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974 ) 
So Following up with this:

1. Know that engine is close to life here with 18k hours at 750K km of heavy duty driving (laoded at 54-63k kgs). Replaced the cranckase filter with the new magic filter. Haven't really had the issue again. Code came up once on a big pull on a hill but just flashed on and off.

INSERT NEW PROBLEM:

2. Real pain in the ass code keeps coming up 3362, FC 1682, DEF dosing unit input line. Steps taken with assistance of a mechanic friend:
- Fuel actuator valve was faulty, replaced it
- code went away (luck?)
- Code came back, checked lines, no kinks or damage
- DEF filter replaced 2 months ago
- DEF dosing unit replaced

Code still comes on. Now after 1 week of it running fine with replaced dosing unit. Not sure what next steps here are, could it be some type of air in the system that needs to be purged?
replyreply
10-16-2020, (Subject: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974 ) 
***UPDATE***

Someone told me that I may be losing pressure in the system somewhere. I cut a bottle in half, clamped it onto the DEF tank cap, cut a hole through the top of the lid and pressurized it with some air.

The codes all disappeared, the truck regened, and it's running fine...

any conclusions from this?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
10-16-2020, (Subject: CrankCase Pressure SPN 101 FMI 15 FC 1974 ) 
Sounds to me like the pump is weak or there's a restriction in the line that the pressure overcomes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.