Fuel/water separator filter turning black
09-06-2020, (Subject: Fuel/water separator filter turning black ) 
RE: Fuel/water separator filter turning black
Wisconsin too I believe, almost to the point you cannot escape the corn or fryer oil. Food for fuel, stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(09-06-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Wisconsin too I believe, almost to the point you cannot escape the corn or fryer oil. Food for fuel, stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

Wisconsin does not require biodiesel in the fuel. Some big name stations have it in their fuel like Flying J but almost all are straight diesel. Minnesota is 20% biodiesel.

It is kind of funny last year I fueled up in western MN at some station and they labeled their diesel “Soy Diesel” It was a high percentage of bio in it and it smelled like french fries! LOL The truck actually ran smoother it seemed? Fuel mileage was no different...

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(09-06-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Mine stays clean, but I am picky about where I purchase fuel. Only straight diesel, no bio or whatever else outfits like Flying J and Pilot pollute their fuel with. I primarily purchase from TA and Petro.

Careful, here in Illinois by law they do have to label the pumps with a B-5 through B-20 sticker but some stations get creative as to where they put that label. I know B-11% goes to the Morris TA on I80 and the TA at the Hampshire exit off 90. Not sure if either have straight #2 pumps like Petro does.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I always liked running bio diesel in my cm870. It liked it. It ran better and fuel mileage got a bit of a boost. I haven't had a chance to run it in my cm871 yet. Im expecting poor results from what you guys talk about it in them.
replyreply
bio diesel has more lubricity than regular diesel which is why it tends to run better. the downside its more prone to algae and gelling but with proper maintenance and setups neither are really an issue.

i run enough fuel not to worry bout algae and always fill to the brim now with the new light ass t680 "31000" empty full of fuel.

as far as gelling i have heated davco and fox heaters in the fuel tanks and an apu to keep all 3 warm 24/7

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(09-06-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I always liked running bio diesel in my cm870. It liked it. It ran better and fuel mileage got a bit of a boost. I haven't had a chance to run it in my cm871 yet. Im expecting poor results from what you guys talk about it in them.

If you got along well with a particular fuel in the past your 871 will likely perform the same as your 870. I’ve always experienced a few tenths less mileage with bio but the cost per mile always makes up for that plus some. It’s harder on filters as well as fuel lines though. The methyl esters that dissolve the fatty acids attack rubber too.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
09-07-2020, (Subject: Fuel/water separator filter turning black ) 
Thats hopeful to hear. Occasionally I'd run in to a batch that plugged up the davco pretty quick. But like you said, the price off set the occasional down side.
replyreply
(09-05-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What do these filter restriction gauges look like and where are they located? I kind of like the idea of having a quick check indicator on the fuel lines.

http://teltek.us/fuel-restriction/
I use these brand gauges , love there customer service and quality product!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , Volvo8873 , Waterloo
(09-07-2020 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  
(09-05-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What do these filter restriction gauges look like and where are they located? I kind of like the idea of having a quick check indicator on the fuel lines.

http://teltek.us/fuel-restriction/
I use these brand gauges , love there customer service and quality product!

What is all entailed in installing one of these gauges? I have an extra pod for the dash and a hole in the firewall at the intake side, what is the sensor setup like? I saw it runs off of the vacuum at the fuel filter? Sounds interesting...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.