CM871 Turbo on CM2250
09-07-2020, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
RE: CM871 Turbo on CM2250
(09-07-2020 )Magard Wrote:  I did this 871 turbo on a 2250 deal. Not really worth the effort You can pm me about it. I’m always driving so I can’t type much

I’ll shoot you a pm
replyreply
09-23-2020, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
After my little fix it seemed to stop, but I am still going to replace the turbo asap.

Also, not going to go the 871 turbo route. Seems like not worth the effort.

Now just to figure out how to pull my ECM file............
replyreply
08-14-2022, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
I’m not afraid to show the good and the bad. Lasted a decent amount. I think I found the issue and if I don’t forget I’ll show you why it failed when I get home

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
08-14-2022, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
(08-14-2022 )Aleeex Wrote:  I’m not afraid to show the good and the bad. Lasted a decent amount. I think I found the issue and if I don’t forget I’ll show you why it failed when I get home

taking the turbo apart on your own throws it out of balance. That outcome shown is expected if ya ask me. You will be lucky if you do not destroy the entire engine before its over with. Where do you think those impeller shavings/pieces went?... they did not turn into fairy dust.. they ended up in your CAC and valve train!.

You will also be lucky if those tiny pieces do not make their way into the exhaust impeller of the new turbo, weakening, or destroying it too.

I HOPE that someone took apart the CAC, intake, exhaust manifold, etc.etc.etc.. and cleaned out the shavings!.

A person has to be absolutely insane to risk a $40,000 commercial engine just to save a bit of moneys by trying to fix a turbo that you should have never taken apart because of inadequate tooling or the lack of a proper balancing machine. WHY??. to save a few bucks?. .. I call that risking $40,000 dollars worth of engine just to save a few dollars ... that is What I call it.

Also,.. did you ever have your questionable delete programming looked at?.. reviewed?.

(your earlier pics of the oil in the CAC boots) ...
Just a related FYI: Oil seeping from the face of a turbo is almost always a problem with crank case pressure buildup, or the turbo not spinning fast enough at idle, creating a vacuum at the intake. The face seal in the turbo is NOT supposed to be 100% oil tight. It relies on positive pressure at its face + no Crank case pressure, to keep it from seeping oil into the CAC.

Don't get me wrong.. I am not trying to pick on anyone here.. I am making statements for others that read this thread so they don't attempt to take apart their own turbo and expecting everything will be ok. The turbine on a turbo spins at close to 100,000 rpm's.. and even the slightest imbalance at those speeds becomes hundreds of pounds of side-loading of the turbine blades.. and will cause it to eventually snap!. It is very difficult to balance a turbocharger, requires a balancing machine, once someone has taken it apart.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-15-2022, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
I took apart the cac and washed it out.

There was no evidence of any shavings on the other side of the cac and none that I noticed on the exhaust housing of the old turbo.

Also let the truck run without connecting the driver side charge pipe to the manifold. Kinda let the air push any dust out.

But also from washing it I may have noticed that there are potentially small pin holes in the CAC (unrelated to this incident) so either way looks like I’m due for a new one when I get home.

The leaking on the turbo was not from the face plate o ring, but the 3 little bolts that hold the face plate. They have the metal washer with rubber seal.. they were loose. It was a Cummins rx turbo on the truck when I bought it.

The programming has already been fixed by you.

So, let my post here remind people not to mess with your turbos. Also dealers in Wyoming are insane. They were asking 7k for a turbo ..
replyreply
09-06-2022, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
For good measure a new cac

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
09-06-2022, (Subject: CM871 Turbo on CM2250 ) 
I have no idea why the site flips the pictures
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.