Main bearings
09-12-2020, (Subject: Main bearings ) 
Main bearings
I removed my new main bearings from packaging and measured them with calipers. I left small scratches where the calipers were place should I junk them or still use them . I did some research on service bulletin they indicated that they have several layers of metal.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Main bearings
I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrt800
(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote:  I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in
replyreply
Bearings don’t need break in. Only piston rings
replyreply
Tks red beard. I know now to use a ball tip Micrometer for next . I tku Rawze for your platform.
replyreply
(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote:  I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in

I am hoping your referring to some older type of engine of days gone past that was known for improper fit bearings or something.

On an ISX, the proper main/rod bearing clearance is 0.002" - 0.004" ... I would hope someone would not take a scotch-brite pad to one unless it was to achieve the right clearances, and had plastigauged everything before hand to ensure they needed to do such a drastic thing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
When we in framed my truck in "The Master's" driveway, we treated those bearings with kid gloves, and lotsa Slick Lube... Just saying.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
09-13-2020, (Subject: Main bearings ) 
Bearing looks like its been bouncin around in a truck tool box for a week.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.