Engine codes everywhere!!!!!
07-21-2016, (Subject: Engine codes everywhere!!!!! ) 
Engine codes everywhere!!!!!
./uploads/201607/post_1367_1469138943_163489997516ec4c010864a7b6b76809.jpg

Codes have been reset multiple times and keep coming back. the face plug one was active all day until I climbed a hill for 10 minutes straight then it went inactive......

Within the last day or so I also had a code coming up for no connection to ecm. that one hasn't been back since I unhooked and reconnected my battery cable when I changed my water pump.

It all strated after I installed my boost and egt guages. I tapped in fir power and ground from a junction right behind where I'm pointing in the next pic. the other guages are powered from there as well..... The only thing out if ordinary was when I was testing the wires to see which was ground and which were power, I had my diode tester grounded and when I touched the yellow wire the cluser went haywire. abs, traction, buzzer and engine light came on but then shut off.

./uploads/201607/post_1367_1469138636_7738fee72fd25d1f7d02dbb75b0638eb.jpg

I'm sure there is one more code that's been popping up but I can't remember right now.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Engine codes everywhere!!!!!
(07-21-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Codes have been reset multiple times and keep coming back. the face plug one was active all day until I climbed a hill for 10 minutes straight then it went inactive......

Within the last day or so I also had a code coming up for no connection to ecm. that one hasn't been back since I unhooked and reconnected my battery cable when I changed my water pump.

It all strated after I installed my boost and egt guages. I tapped in fir power and ground from a junction right behind where I'm pointing in the next pic. the other guages are powered from there as well..... The only thing out if ordinary was when I was testing the wires to see which was ground and which were power, I had my diode tester grounded and when I touched the green wire the cluser went haywire. abs, traction, buzzer and engine light came on but then shut off.

I'm sure there is one more code that's been popping up but I can't remember right now.

the gauges are multiplexed - that is not a normal hot wire!

find another power for your gauge.
replyreply
ok I'm on it! Do you figure that's what's causing my j1939 issues?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
The big plug is where I tapped in, not the smaller ones going to the guages. is this ok or are those ones still the multiplex?./uploads/201607/post_1367_1469140518_a728660eb50f00eaf60bdd0c5d299ff6.jpg

replyreply
I have no.idea what your driving or what your working on???

Kw trucks they have spare power/grounds to tap into exactly where your pointing at.

You had to have tapped into obviously the wrong circuit. Did you try and disconect the wires you tapped into just for shits and giggle to see if your codes would go away?

Their is certain circuits you can not tap into to grab power from. But their still should be spare power/spare you can use??? Look in your fuse panel and see what power and ground is a spare and find that wire/s and use that. You will need to probably add a fuse in your fuse panel
replyreply
(07-21-2016 )joed2323 Wrote:  I have no.idea what your driving or what your working on???

Kw trucks they have spare power/grounds to tap into exactly where your pointing at.

You had to have tapped into obviously the wrong circuit. Did you try and disconect the wires you tapped into just for shits and giggle to see if your codes would go away?

Their is certain circuits you can not tap into to grab power from. But their still should be spare power/spare you can use??? Look in your fuse panel and see what power and ground is a spare and find that wire/s and use that. You will need to probably add a fuse in your fuse panel

I'm driving a prostar. There are tonnes of places I can tap into. If this isn't a good option then I'll just run a seperate fuse from my panel. I didn't see any harm in the wires I chose, there's a obvious constant, accessory, ground and dimmer. I thought it was cut and dry.

I'm still trying to figure if there wires have anything to do with the engine j1939.

replyreply
07-22-2016, (Subject: Engine codes everywhere!!!!! ) 
CAN wires are usually twisted as a pair. my prostar does not have that box so I cannot look. I think I'd tap into the power port as its already fused and close to your gauges. It was not fun chasing those wires to my fuse panel. Ranked up there to replacing the blend door actuator. Well not nearly that painful lol.
replyreply
When I installed the two extra gauges on my dash, in my 08 ProStar, I tapped into dimmer line for the gauge lights, on edit "not at the panel, but from the dimmer switch itself". For power and ground, I used a fused line off of the ignition side of the fuse block in its own spot in the panel. I bought the metal wire clips that snap in the fuse block at the International dealer. I have no issues with codes. I grounded to the chassis.
replyreply
(07-21-2016 )Brock Wrote:  The big plug is where I tapped in, not the smaller ones going to the guages. is this ok or are those ones still the multiplex?

THOSE WIRES HAVE A
WRITTEN WIRE NUMBER ON EACH Of THEM!!!--- LOOK THE WIRE NUMBER UP AND LOOK IN THE DIAGRAM FOR THE TRUCK AND YOU WILL KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO!. -- NEVER WIRE INTO SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE LOOKED UP WHAT THE WIRE DOES!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.