06 cm870 inframe oil consumption
09-25-2020, (Subject: 06 cm870 inframe oil consumption ) 
06 cm870 inframe oil consumption
I recently had an inframe done to a 2006 isx cm870. I'm about 25k miles in and just the most recent oil change that I had, within 3 days I had to put a gallon and a half to get it to the halfway mark. I do about 398 miles a day 5 days a week. Why am I burning so much oil ? (Mandate deleted, new borgwarner turbo, cummins recon injectors, charge air cooler, etc) there are no leaks a a so it has to be going somewhere. Little to no visible blow by.
replyreply
RE: 06 cm870 inframe oil consumption
Must be burning it, maybe worn out valve seals because you re used the old head/ reman head or used an aftermarket head. Pull the boot off the turbo outlet and see how much that crappy turbo is slobbering, although that's probably not where the majority of it is coming from or you would most likely have trouble shutting the engine off(diesel run away)
You have other problems though, unless one of 3 or 4 people from this site did your tune, it's tearing your engine up and FAST!! The fact that you have a bw turbo on that thing is a dead giveaway that you're tune is bad. And I would bet a lot of money that you're inframe wasn't done right either.
Luckily you found you're way to this site, now I guess we'll see if you're willing to listen to the people here that know the ISX like NOBODY else or argue with them.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Waterloo , marek4792
(09-25-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Must be burning it, maybe worn out valve seals because you re used the old head/ reman head or used an aftermarket head. Pull the boot off the turbo outlet and see how much that crappy turbo is slobbering, although that's probably not where the majority of it is coming from or you would most likely have trouble shutting the engine off(diesel run away)
You have other problems though, unless one of 3 or 4 people from this site did your tune, it's tearing your engine up and FAST!! The fact that you have a bw turbo on that thing is a dead giveaway that you're tune is bad. And I would bet a lot of money that you're inframe wasn't done right either.
Luckily you found you're way to this site, now I guess we'll see if you're willing to listen to the people here that know the ISX like NOBODY else or argue with them.

It's a new aftermarket head. A pai industries head and inframe kit. I might have to get it re tuned. Its rated at 565 hp.
replyreply
Aftermarket, head and in frame kit... There is your oil consumption, and that tune is probably set at 750 to 800+ HP... Cooking the motor... Do you have a pyrometer and a turbo boost gauge installed? I would ask if the block was machined for the new liners, but you have an aftermarket kit. Were the ledges in the block cut?

We are not picking on you, just that we have seen this a hundred times over here at Rawze.com. Most guys go away in a huff never to be heard from again. You got a hot mess on your hands, as there are few shops that can reliably rebuild an ISX out here with OEM parts. Those aftermarket kits are ten times more problematic as they are normally not built to the same specs as the OEM stuff. Wish I had something better to say.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(09-25-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Aftermarket, head and in frame kit... There is your oil consumption, and that tune is probably set at 750 to 800+ HP... Cooking the motor... Do you have a pyrometer and a turbo boost gauge installed? I would ask if the block was machined for the new liners, but you have an aftermarket kit. Were the ledges in the block cut?

We are not picking on you, just that we have seen this a hundred times over here at Rawze.com. Most guys go away in a huff never to be heard from again. You got a hot mess on your hands, as there are few shops that can reliably rebuild an ISX out here with OEM parts. Those aftermarket kits are ten tomes more problematic as they are normally not built to the same specs as the OEM stuff. Wish I had something better to say.

Yes, they had to counter bore it. I had someone come put for that, because my liners dropped as I had a cracked head before the inframe. And I am having one installed due to the turbo and the power that I'm making. I can post a pic from putting it on the dyno earlier this September. No worries, I'll take the criticism. Trying to take the cheaper route is looking now to cost me. Live and you learn. I'm thinking I may need another tune from a reliable shop that I've come across.
replyreply
Take it to Mr Hag down in Griffin GA, and get that turbo sorted out. Like I said, most of these tunes, like yours, is more than likely cooking the motor. I can only image where the timing is set... Along with a list of other "errors". If there is a way for you to pull the ECM program, do it and send it to Rawze before more damage is done to the motor.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
putting on the dino right before the inframe with a cooked motor or after?

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Pull the ECM file ASAP and get it to Rawze. You can dyno it, it is the day to day that is going to destroy the motor. Rawze has gotten some tremendous HP out of these motors, stock. Much more than what these other shops do with their old school turbos. But, with an ISX, the more HP, the shorter the engine life. What is the application you are using the truck for that you need more HP? And what gearing in the rear ends?

Where is this reliable shop for a tune?

replyreply
Rawze is in the house...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.