Need help to identify this isx...
09-27-2020, (Subject: Need help to identify this isx... ) 
Need help to identify this isx...
I just bought a 2017 680 with an isx which was replaced by cummins at 150,000 miles. the serial number comes back as invalid. (SN.#8LB005512) any help is appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Need help to identify this isx...
Most likely a 2350 look at the valve cover data tag and there's another on the ECM behind the spin on fuel filter.
replyreply
That number I have came off the data tag on the head cover. I will look tomorrow for the other on the ecm. quikserve does not recognize the 9 digit serial number that I got from the data tag.i thought maybe being a replacement motor it got some kind of strange SN. Thanks for the reply
replyreply
(09-27-2020 )jared1751 Wrote:  That number I have came off the data tag on the head cover. I will look tomorrow for the other on the ecm. quikserve does not recognize the 9 digit serial number that I got from the data tag.i thought maybe being a replacement motor it got some kind of strange SN. Thanks for the reply

cummins certified recon engines have a ser# that can be looked up via quickserv... what you posted as a ser# (ESN#) does not seem to be this at all.

some pics of the data plate, etc. would help.

-- Also, just because a cummins shop did the replacement, does not mean they used a certified recon engine in the truck. Gotta watch out for that, trust no one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(09-27-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 )jared1751 Wrote:  That number I have came off the data tag on the head cover. I will look tomorrow for the other on the ecm. quikserve does not recognize the 9 digit serial number that I got from the data tag.i thought maybe being a replacement motor it got some kind of strange SN. Thanks for the reply

cummins certified recon engines have a ser# that can be looked up via quickserv... what you posted as a ser# (ESN#) does not seem to be this at all.

some pics of the data plate, etc. would help.

-- Also, just because a cummins shop did the replacement, does not mean they used a certified recon engine in the truck. Gotta watch out for that, trust no one.

These are the pics I have now, Im not with the truck now.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Yup those 8LB numbers are not for complete engines. As far as I know the LB stands for Long Block and a long block can come with as much as everything from valve cover to oil pan minus the manifolds and turbo or as little as bare head to the crank. A short block comes with everything but the head and attaching parts. A Complete or "turn key" engine has everything including the turbo, manifolds and sometimes wiring harnesses. I had a bit of an education in all the above when it came to the 2 months ordeal of swinging an engine in my old truck. I own a CM870 with a Long Block replacement and the same type 8LB ESN. Its also Invalid on quickserve.cummins.com I simply used the original ESN from the original engine that the truck came with. You can call a dealership and get it. Then compare CPL and other numbers to make sure they swapped for exact same engine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
As stated above that's a long block serial number. Original esn stays when using a long block. Long block is everything below valve cover and above oil pan. Includes gear train and front covers. Usually includes flywheel housing, and maybe t-stat housing.
replyreply
I appreciate the info. When an engine is "reconditioned " from Cummins is that a complete rebuild? or a fix only what is broke or out of spec? Is it possible this is a million mile plus block? At 370k on the engine now I will address the fuel pump And whatever else I find as I research this motor. I appreciate all the help and all the knowledge on this site. Thanks
replyreply
Depends on the repair. A recon engine carries it's own ESN and is complete engine, ie block, head, internals, peripherals like air comp manifolds turbo harness etc.
Hard to tell why there is a long block in that chassis with out more info. If you can supply the vin I can check warranty history to see if the long block was supplied as a warrantable failure repair.
What do you mean by million mile plus block?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.