One lung compressors aren't for big trucks
10-01-2020, (Subject: One lung compressors aren't for big trucks ) 
One lung compressors aren't for big trucks
I looked through the posts and couldn't find this...
Is there a better more reliable air compressor for an 870than those non pumping ones from cummins?
Bendix? Or whomever makes one that fits.
I pull a spread axle, when I get to turning or backing in and dumping axles, these compressors fail to keep up.
replyreply
RE: One lung compressors aren't for big trucks
Maybe you're compressor is just getting weak? Has this always been a problem with that truck? Maybe you're truck had another air tank on it that someone took off when it failed and never replaced it after plumbing around it? Just throwing things out there. Without enough air storage no compressor will keep up.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Check the obvious too, a small non audible air leak won't do anything, but a few of them will make it seem like you have a big air leak.
replyreply
Cummins does offer a larger one 2 cylinder and double the volume. When I had looked into converting mine a couple years ago it was almost $ 5500.00.
replyreply
This thread title caught my eye. My CM871's compressor is legal, but takes a while.

I don't idle at night and can hear other trucks running; their 2 piston compressor kicks in and a few seconds later the air dryer blows.

$5500. Thanks, but no, as long as mine is still legal, I'll wait for the air to build!
replyreply
I was looking at it for bulk unloading. It was cheaper and made more sense to use a pto driven compressor.
replyreply
Cummins used to offer a larger 4-piston compressor too... have seen it on a few trucks with 871 engines and it has a larger volume.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.