Aftertreatment Temperature Stabilization
10-03-2020, (Subject: Aftertreatment Temperature Stabilization ) 
Aftertreatment Temperature Stabilization
I was watching a few videos on YouTube about Cummins Insite and just trying to familiarize myself a little with it. One of the videos had a Cummins rep on it and he was saying make sure to enable the aftertreatment dpf temperature stabilization feature. Mine is disabled. Is this something I want on? He is saying it will help with keeping the aftertreatment up to temp even if you stop, etc. I trust the guys on this site more than I trust a guy with a C on his polo shirt. What’s your thoughts on this?
replyreply
RE: Aftertreatment Temperature Stabilization
I think your referring to this...

https://www.carolinathomas.com/wp-conten...eature.pdf
It helps keep the active regen process going below 25 mph.

There might be slight improvements towards preventing the interruption of the active regen process as you slow down and stop/go in traffic, but it is no cure-all.

I seriously doubt all the extra claims they make about it solving all your DPF issues are nothing but a bunch of hype though. Salesman's brainwashing at its best .... Most DPF problems start at the enigne due to clogged sensors, egr circuits blocking themselves up with soot, etc.. and not in the exhaust system.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ahub86
This is something that I believe will assist in the cleaning process of those that have equipment in a constant low speed, stop and go environment. Think busses, waste management, neighborhood delivery vans etc. Without the added heat of the "loaded state" of an aftertreatment system, it's most likely not going to be able to keep the soot burning into ash with a passive/active regeneration and face plugging the DPF.
For many applications that are running up and down the highway, it MAY assist if you happen to enter into that environment during a passive regeneration. For the most part, this should all be doing its thing during normal driving conditions where this "keep warm" function will never come on.
If a typical on highway truck is having issues with keeping itself cleaned of soot, you have other issues that need to be addressed. Rawze's videos on EGR tune up will get you headed in the right direction if that is the case.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , ahub86 , Waterloo
I am following you with all this. Truck isn’t in service yet, but I have read up on all your info on egr tuneups and driving properly with the isx. The truck is going to be a dump truck so shorter runs are in it’s future. I have kind of a mix of what I do. Some days I am going to put on 12 miles in a 12 hour day and some days I am gonna run almost 600. It varies. Maybe I should enable this feature, I was looking to see if there was a definite reason not to. Figured I would throw it to you guys and see if an overwhelming “no don’t do that” came back. But it looks like the idea is maybe it will be better but probably no big change. So I guess I will pop it on and see how we do. My theory of how I will handle a short mile day is limit my idle time. Now, with the old truck, I might idle a while on a hot day to keep the a/c blowing. Probably with the new truck I will park her where she’s going and sweat it out. I’d rather sweat a little than plug the dpf. Hopefully the in between days of running long miles will help keep her cleaned out
replyreply
Your a lot better off to just demandate than you are to try to keep those emissions systems happy, just my 2 cents.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
It’s something I have considered. But for now I am going to do my best to learn it and work with it. I have the insite set up and I have been researching and doing my best to retain good info I learn here. I may change my mind later if I get into a bunch of problems, but for now I am set on running it.

Here in my great state of New York they changed our pusher axle laws. We can no longer have non-steerable pushers with a divisible load permit. Bunch of us been continuing to run what we have anyway. It’s starting to catch up. DOT in our area have been hammering this lately. Revoking guys permits and running up big fines based on “overloads” now that the permit is pulled. So maybe it pays to switch and conform with the law. That stinks, 20k lb steerable will cost me $7,500 before I install and put wheels and tires on it. But it’s becoming a pay now or pay later situation. I kinda feel the mandate is the same way. I can learn it, maintain it and do my best with it... or I can get caught and face fines and cost of replacing all those components.

Believe me, the idea of demandate with a nice tune from one of the top guys on this forum sounds like a dream to me. Truck has 30,000 original miles. It’s a prime candidate for this. But maybe I am getting older and I weigh options on the side of caution more than I used to. Damn government is taking the “cowboy” out of me.

Hope I am not here in a couple years eating all my words.... broke with a plugged up, rebuilt three times motor in my truck. Guess I gotta let time tell on that one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Waterloo , redbeard
We've been running into new york the last couple months with a truck that doesn't have a steerable tag.Its just 3 miles over the line into new york from pa. So I'm hoping we don't get caught. What's the ticket for that cost ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
It’s ok if you don’t have a divisible load permit. If your truck complies with federal bridge law you are ok. But for example my tri axle dump truck would register gross at 58,000 lbs under bridge law. With the divisible load permit I am 73,750 lbs. Get caught with non steerable and they pull your permit for an extended period and it’s hard to get back. Get caught non steerable with 73,750 gross and then only good for 58,000. Stuck with an almost 8 ton overload ticket.

Plus the law is the steerable axle has to have a capacity at least 80% of the next axle in the group. So my truck must be a 20k lb to be next to an 23,000 lb axle of my 46k rears. Paving company near me has some trucks steerable, but only 13k. DOT couldn’t find a ID tag so they measured brake shoes and figured it out that way. Pulled permits and etc etc.. the paving company is hiring other trucks to run in the place of their three right now. It’s just one of those thing that I have been fighting but the writing is on the wall. Thank you King Cuomo
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hookliftpete , Waterloo
sounds like it would be a better investment to move from the communist state and don;t look back. Soon,.. they will be looking to cash in on every trucker and every citizen they can to pay back all the damage they have done to that state purposefully.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.