Blown turbo
10-07-2020, (Subject: Blown turbo ) 
Blown turbo
So my turbo blew recently on the highway. The good thing I was 0.5 away from truck stop so managed to make it there. However, right before I was backing up to the parking spot, it went to runaway mode for about 10-15 sec. I'm in process of putting the new turbo in but I believe that charge air cooler is full of oil. Sad part that it is only 6 months old so I don't really want to replace it again. Is there any procedure of washing it out/cleaning somehow?
replyreply
RE: Blown turbo
Forgot to mention, CM870))
replyreply
unfortunately the typical procedure for cleaning it out is to fill it up with some diesel fuel ... drain it into some buckets ... then fill it and flush it about 2 or 3 times up with water + cummins restore (radiator acid cleanser) to flush the diesel out of it and de-annodize it ... and then dry it out as best possible.

While it is off the truck, pressure test it at 30 psi and leak test it to ensure it is in spec... the leak rate on a CAC is 10 psi in one minute. any more than 10 psi loss in one minute, its bad.

This means remove it from the truck and laying it flat, turning it over, etc.

you also want to do flush it out well to ensure no metal shavings, etc. got into it. Does not take much of a metal flake to get into a valve eseat and tear up the head or cause compression losses.

maybe others have different suggestions... that is just what I would do any ways.

btw: I would filter the fuel used to flush it out thru a screen and paper filter and put it into my fuel tanks..lol.. no fuel is wasted that way and no worries about what to do with it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-08-2020, (Subject: Blown turbo ) 
Thank you for info!!!!

And more bad news... I disconnected charge air cooler hoses while replacing the turbo and it was full of oil, around 3 gallons went down to floor... I also noticed that my air dryer is leaking oil.. now, how bad all of those symptoms? I most likely have oil in the engine. I assume it went to air compressor as well??? Can it be cleaned? What else should I expect??
replyreply
(10-07-2020 )Koren Wrote:  So my turbo blew recently on the highway. The good thing I was 0.5 away from truck stop so managed to make it there.

When this happens you have to stop RIGHT NOW and get towed. Now everything is full of oil, your gonna have to clean everything out. Hopefully not much oil got past the air dryer into the valves and such. If the engine would have ran away things would have been VERY bad!! You lucked out on that.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Koren
I had a conversation with a driver yesterday when getting the truck serviced at the local TA... No boost, no power, old N-14, he wanted to know if it was safe to drive back to Chicago... Angela, the feisty service writer, jumped in and stated matter of factly, "With your problems, you better be leaving here on a HOOK!".

I nodded in approval of her statement, and added "Runaway" and "BOOM!"... I hope he got the picture, older gentleman, I don't think he knew much about his truck.

I offered to help him out if I could... He left, I have no clue what happened... Seemed like a really good guy, I hope he made out OK.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(10-08-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  When this happens you have to stop RIGHT NOW and get towed. Now everything is full of oil, your gonna have to clean everything out. Hopefully not much oil got past the air dryer into the valves and such. If the engine would have ran away things would have been VERY bad!! You lucked out on that.

The engine did ran away right where I was parking. It was in that condition for 10-15 seconds with the keys out of the ignition...
Let's say, it didn't go past air dryer, what else went bad? Do you have to change the air compressor? New air dryer for sure... Probably air lines to it. What else?
replyreply
the exhaust and egr circuits all need clean-out too. especially if any oil got into the egr cooler. that thing will need to be removed and cleaned out really well, otherwise it will cause turbo exhaust turbine failures later in the future when the old dried/burnt oil and soot start to turn into chunks of carbon... then come loose later on and go thru the turbo, destroying it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Koren

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.