Oil leak behind engine?? Cm2250
07-22-2016, (Subject: Oil leak behind engine?? Cm2250 ) 
Oil leak behind engine?? Cm2250
I was doing my post trip when I seen a puddle of engine oil behind the engine on the transmission bellhousing passenger side ... anyone know where this might be coming from? 2011 cm 2250[attachment=1756][attachment=1756]

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201607/post_1619_1469235410_3a38003c14f3828d5db1a713c744c9db.jpg
replyreply
RE: Oil leak behind engine?? Cm2250
Well, there is a gasket, o-ring type seal back there, I can't tell from the photo though. That bell housing has an oil feed line built into it internally from the motor to the oil pan through the block. If that gasket/seal fails, which normally happens after a clutch replacement and not doing replacing this seal at the same time... $2400 there about to fix... You have to pull the transmission, and you may as well do the rear main and roll some new bearings in at the same time and throw a clutch in, everything has to come apart... Just what I know from my friend that had this same leak after having a new clutch installed. And this is not something you can replace yourself... It is a real bitch, as the bell housing has to be inched in using a micrometer... No lie.

IF THAT IS WHAT IT IS.
replyreply
So I'm stuck with this leak untill new clutch is installed?
replyreply
Well, I could be wrong, I am not a mechanic, just a depressed going broke Cummins owner with little in the way of "rays of sunshine"... So, I would say yes. I wish I had something better to tell you. Check your oil daily, you should be able to make it... If you are putting more than a gallon in a day, time to fix it. One thing though, that I DO NOT KNOW, is if it will contaminate your clutch and leave you in even worse shape. That oil pools in the tranny/bell housing from what little I know. So hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.
replyreply
I will take a look under to see if it's pretty bad
replyreply
Look at your clutch brake, check that area for oil...
replyreply
07-23-2016, (Subject: Oil leak behind engine?? Cm2250 ) 
Yeah, it looks like a rear structure leak. I've done 2 of them on Series 60's, but I always waited until they needed clutches it's just more cost/downtime effective.
I've never done one on an ISX yet, mine is weeping but my clutch is still good so I won't be doing it for a while. I never had to mic one in, I'll have to look it up on Quickserve as that's new on me. I know you've got to keep them square and make sure you follow toque pattern & spec properly.
If you attempt this yourself, you will need something to lift/hold the motor as the rear motor mounts are attached to it. It's a big job, but certainly something you wanna be confident about your abilities to do.
FYI, don't waste your time or money cheaping out on a clutch. Refinish your flywheel and get a good clutch, preferrably bigger than you need. The labor is WAY more than the part, I put a 2250rated clutch behind my 1850 torque motor...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Thanks guys!! Good to know... before there wasn't a puddle it was just dirty or maybe the leak got worse. Maybe there's a big puddle because yesterday my buddy was checking fuel pressure and was reving the crap out of the motor.... I'll just continue to keep an eye on oil level.
replyreply
Had my rear main seal go bad, and had Peterbilt of Springfield, MO do the work. They replaced the rear main seal, replaced clutch, release bearing, resurfaced flywheel, replaced both rear motor mounts, and did an input shaft kit on my tranny....total cost was $4200.00, and had it out in 2 days. Did a great job, hasn't leaked since.

The leak will pool in the bellhousing, and then finally leak out of the release bearing hole in the bottom of the bellhousing, causing oil buildup all around the bottom of the engine, tranny, exhaust...mine got worse as time went by, and the buildup got back as far as the rear drive axle.......don't wait that long.

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.