KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
10-16-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
RE: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
I looped the lines together on my 1st truck and the tempature was slightly cooler which would be in the 130 to 170 degree range. All because I went through the same as you did Chamberpain although I flushed it twice with gear lube instead of diesel at the time.

So I just left it and ran it like that for close to 300,000 miles. It shifted just fine yet at 900,000 miles. I don’t know...

I still have the block off plate that I never installed.

./uploads/202010/post_3100_1602889961_e514ce3dfd3c14cd459c481b23855511.jpeg

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
I ran 200 miles with just a short hose looping the transmission inlet/outlet and the temp only reached 180°. I imagine in light to medium duty applications you probably would never need a transmission cooler.
replyreply
(10-16-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You can't do that with yours?

No, but I wish I could, it would make oil changes much easier... ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
10-17-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
Just think how nice it would be if you could just flip the dirty side over and wash it. I know my clothes would love me for it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
10-17-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
(10-16-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I crawled under and snapped a couple shots. The hangers that come with the kit are pretty flimsy so I doubled them up. After installing the lines and a hose clamp it was fairly solid.

I chose the back of the transmission as the mounting spot because thats exactly where they were for the longest time in the 90's and 2000's. I imagine they started putting them up front in front of the radiator when manufacturers started cramming thing in tighter and more stuff under the truck. But on this t660 there was plenty of room for it there. I also never liked having 20 or more feet of hose running up to the front of the truck and back. Less spots for it to fail this way.

Also Mr. Hagg's suggestion to use diesel to flush the transmission worked fairly well. I put a gallon or so in the case and fired the truck off for 30 or so seconds then drained and blew out the transmission. Then I filled it with cheap gear lube and ran a short run (200 miles) and then came back and drained that stuff to make sure I got most if the contamination out. Then filled with synthetic 75w90. I did another short run today (250 miles) and the temp gauge never moved off 150°. Where as before with the coolant circulation it kept it consistently at engine operating temps.

I'm pleased with the whole process. And if those hangers fail I can simply fabricate sturdier brackets out of scrap steel or aluminum.

Those mounting straps need to be 90's angle iron ... otherwise they are not going to last long as fatigue from vibration is going to set in. If you can wiggle it .. even a little bit .. its going to break and drop down when you least want it to.

Also the first rock that hits it at speed is going to go right thru those fins. It needs a heavy-wire protective screen or some cheese grating (plate with lots of holes in it) on the front side.

just giving my own thoughts on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
10-18-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
Ya, its gonna get those kinda upgrades. This has been a bit of a scramble to get it up in there so I can keep up load obligations. The old junk is still hanging up in there. So I have to tear all that out. That'll happen on another very dirty day. I'll try to remember to post pics of the final setup when I get it done.

Also a warning for anyone that has these coolant heat transfer style coolers and also run lower or no coolant pressure you will get transmission fluid in with the coolant. It will smell like gear lube so don't freak out and automatically jump to the engine as the source. Smell it and test it 1st.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Wow 650 bucks for a 50$ air cooler, some hose and fittings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy
(10-18-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Wow 650 bucks for a 50$ air cooler, some hose and fittings.

Like the $750 heater core International sells... No bigger than what you would find in an old Chevy pickup. We used to get those for around $20

We are in the wrong line of work...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.