New problems after inframe from cummins
10-24-2020, (Subject: New problems after inframe from cummins ) 
New problems after inframe from cummins
I was having problems with my 2014 pete 579 isx15 cm2350 with oil consumption (1-2 gals a wk) and clogged filters(constant regens) at 500k miles. Had an inframe done at cummins a few wks ago. Those were my only problems I've ever had with my truck. Now I'm having a leak from my front gear housing, fault code 559 came up after ecm calibration, and yesterday my truck started cranking by itself leading me to unplugg the batteries(smoking by the starter). They broke an injector while replacing them and didn't change the fuel filters either. Never had these problems before the inframe. Dropped my truck back at cummins. Cummins quoted me around $7500 to have the front housing leak fixed(last wk). Now waiting till Monday to hear back from them about the other 2 problems. My questions are, does any of these problems have to do with the inframe? Is it cummins that made mistakes and aren't owing up to them? I'm currently at 507k miles now. Need some advice on how to deal with cummins if they're going to say they had nothing to do with these problems. Don't want to fork up thousands more if I don't have to. Any help appreciated    

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: New problems after inframe from cummins
TBH honest hard to say it could have the front caps leaking they would have taken off to remove head the cam thrust plate... This is why when people price us they say oh man thats high but on ALL of our over hauls we replace the front structure gaskets and front seal. Depending on the miles we replace the harmonic damper as well ...... You should be able to tell if its leaking about the desk of block from either side then its from them for sure.. However if its leaking lower corner where pan and all meet then its front cover... Good luck on this
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , redbeard
I hope he has a good flame suit. Anyone who does a inframe in a 500,000 motor with just valve seals.........
replyreply
Call me dumb but how the hell u get a head off without taking the front structure cover off?
replyreply
Sorry we cant call U that too many people will get buthurt. Pull the cam unbolt head and lift it up. Cover bolts to the block head is about 1/4” off the cover.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Signature620
(10-24-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Call me dumb but how the hell u get a head off without taking the front structure cover off?

I was thinking the same thing while reading the OP's post...but I'm assuming you unbolt the upper portion from the head in order for a R/R?

Like Mr.Hagg mentioned though, if it's leaking up top, then it's quite possible caused by them, but down low, the OP may be out in his own.
replyreply
so they re-used the head on a 500k mile old engine?

Boy did you waste a lot of time and money there.

No counter-bore, nothing to extend the life of the engine whatsoever... and that 559 code ... did anyone pull the fuel pump apart and see if the cam is chewed up?

Will it pass a rail leak test?

The OEM shops are the biggest rip-offs and worst quality places to take an engine to to get rebuilt any more these days.

- That thing is not going to last for s#it now. Give 1, maybe 2 years tops and it will be coming apart again to do it all over again... Head gasket + fretted liner, worn out head,.. you name it. Literally, all they replaced was the parts to stop the oil consumption on an engine. This is not an inframe.. This is not going to extend its overall life at all .. this is a patched up mess!.

You paid $23,700 for only an overhaul kit (the bottom end parts only) .. and got completely taken!. - Most shops would have done that same half-arssed, hurried job for about $12-13k instead of an actual proper inframe that extends the life of the engine.

You don't have any case against that OEM ... They are simply morons and are going to take you for all your worth because they half-arssed the whole job + Now have set you and themselves up to milk you for tens of thousands more to clean up their own incompetence. This is how they are trained and that is what they are good at... emptying your wallet in exchange for the least amount of effort to get yo out their door and onto the next victim!. That is what the $9,000 in labor alone paid for,... NOT AN INFRAME.. but a botch job repair for oil consumption only!!

- Hope you got another $15k or so saved up,.. your going to need it soon!. -- Personally, I would tell ya to pull that enigne back down while the overhaul kit is still good.new ,.. yank it out and start over ... spend the money for a new head, counter-boring, gear housing seals, etc .etc. and all the other parts needed at 500k miles etc... and finish the job! because all you have right now is a half-arssed hot mess that is destined for head/liner failures at this point!. Even if they did a really good job on the parts they changed,.. you might get another 200k~ish miles out of it and it will all have to happen all over again + it being a mid-tier engine with only 450HP. I was being generous ... If it were a 500hp/1850+ engine, + tall gears in the rear end, I would not even give it that long.

- this is what i see, no one has to agree.,, It saddens me because we have seen this too many times around here!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
7500 to take off balancer and reseal front cover what a joke. course they do charge 200 and hr so thats 35hrs and 500 in parts ....ok... think for that ied just pull it down in a parking lot or at home do it myself. could buy any and all tools needed and have a michellin star dinner 5 nights a week for that.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.