Too much or just right?
07-23-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Too much or just right?
Hello all,

Well, it might be "that time". Not inframe time. But that "other" time. While I was making my drive from NY to NH (which is 224 miles), my truck regened three times. After it started the second regen, the dreaded message "Parked Regen Needed" popped up on my instrument cluster. That's when I started crying. A little. On the inside.

So, here is a little background info for those that do not know. Truck is a completely stock 2013 Volvo 670. Engine has just over 388,000 miles. I never run heavy, so the exhaust never gets hot enough, or I don't think it does. (Note: Heavy for me is anything over 30,000 in the box, roughly 60,000 total. I'm also pulling an empty trailer half the time.) I'm usually running 400 degrees or less at the DPF intake. Granted, when I am loaded and climbing a hill, the exhaust will get up into the 700's. But, I just drive back and forth on the Massachusetts Turnpike, so I don't have too many big hills that I have to deal with. Most hills are dealt with in a mile or less. Because of this, the truck has always regened a little more than normal. Also, when it is doing a regen, any time I go down a hill I try to coast as much as possible (in gear of course) and the exhaust will drop from up over 1,000 degrees down to 400-500. So, while it is doing a regen, it would not maintain a constant 1000+ degrees because I'm dealing with the rolling hills in Mass. I think because of this, the DPF has slowly started to build up more and more. The differential numbers have been around 5.0, which I know is terrible. But, it has never failed a regen and I have never had check engine lights for regen issues.

I bought the truck last October with 293,000 miles on her. When I bought her, they supposedly baked and cleaned the DPF. However, the exhaust looks like it has never been touched. They probably just did a forced regen and called it a day. I replaced the dozer injector at 320,000. I wasn't having any issues at the time, but because of the information I've been absorbing from here, and I had the coolant drained anyway to replace a thermostat, I figured it was a good maintenance move.

So anyways, I've included a link to a short video I took. I wanted to see if the engine was generating too much soot. So, I started the truck with the DPF removed. The DOC is still installed, because it doesn't look like it can be removed without taking the whole front part of the can off. I'm not sure if keeping the DOC on matters or not. I had someone stab the throttle twice. If you look carefully, you can see a little black smoke come out. It isn't much (or I don't think it is), but it is there. I was curious if it is too much or just right. While the exhaust is apart, I want to make sure she is running ok before I do that thing that we don't talk about.

I think I have covered all my bases and given as much info as possible. I'm curious what everybody thinks.

Thanks guys!

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
RE: Too much or just right?
It is great to have a truck that keepa running, but just remember that soot adds extra friction and wears the life out of your engine prematurely.
replyreply

Here is what the DPF looks like.

replyreply
(07-23-2016 )Vin Wrote:  soot adds extra friction and wears the life out of your engine prematurely.

That's why I want to know if the video shows too much soot production or it is acceptable before I "fix" my exhaust.

replyreply
I see minor smoke. That dpf looks like crap. Looking at the picture blown up it appears to be 60% plugged with ash. I'd go ahead with your plan.
replyreply
07-24-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Looks plugged to my naked eye, worse than mine when it cracked. Yes, I would do what you are thinking.
replyreply
07-25-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
UPDATE!! AND EDITED!!

So, I talked to Rawze. I plan on getting my truck down to Atlanta in a couple of months and letting the magic man do his thing. However, I need to get the truck back on the road first. So, I did a DIY DPF cleaning. Here are some pictures.

After removing the DPF from the truck, I used a shop vac and compressed air to start blowing the soot back through the filter.

And 1st cleaning completed.

I placed the DPF in my kiln intake side down and heated it up to dry the soot first.

After this, I removed the DPF and used a shop vac and compressed air again. I thought I took pictures of the 2nd cleaning, but I guess I forgot. (I'll post pictures of the DPF after I remove it from the kiln and before I do the 3rd and final cleaning.) I was just so excited how clean the thing looked. After the second cleaning, I put it back in the kiln for a couple more hours. I'm currently waiting for it to cool off and will clean it again tomorrow. More pictures and the final result to come!!

I know there is a setting in Insite to tell the ECM that the DPF has been replaced, but I do not remember seeing anything about the DPF being cleaned. Do I just tell the ECM that it is a new filter? Anyone know?

Thanks guys!

replyreply
07-26-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Start by doing a maintenance reset on it. I would not tell it that you have a new filter if possible.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-26-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
That looks really good. Pottery kiln, genius!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.