No spin lockers
11-03-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
No spin lockers
I'm in the middle or ordering some new parts for this truck for it's scheduled overhaul.

I haven't put much thought into it yet, but on the subject of lockers...I'm going to replace both of my differential carriers, and knock it out while I have the truck down. Going from 3.55 to a 3.70 or lower gearset, and I'm strongly considering upgrading one or both diffs to a locker, which I can get at a similar price to an open if I do it while I'm replacing the carriers.

My understanding is I can do one in the front, back or both. My truck spends most of it's time highway with the occasional need for additional traction I haven't gotten from my open diffs.

I am not aware if the switch would cause harshness and noise, reliability, tire wear or mileage concerns so I'm looking for some advice here from those who have run them. More traction on demand would be great for those instances I need it but I don't want to go overboard.

Truck right now has dsp40, open diffs. I run 22.5's and have an RTOC16909 up converted to a 13, making its way out for an RTLO20918 while I'm taking care of the flywheel housing gasket and rear main.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
11-04-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
RE: No spin lockers
It’s a pretty straightforward swap but you WILL have to trim the face of the front drive axle housing for the locking mechanism to clear(Eaton DS models), just plan for it and even when it looks like it will clear it won’t. You’ll have to replace the axle also, the splines extend farther out to engage the lock ring. There’s a tool you can buy that threads into the air supply for the lock that holds everything together during installation, I made my own out of a brass fitting and bolt. There’s no adverse effects from running lockers to any other components or tires ect...just never, never, never lock them in if a wheel is spinning. Physically press the service brake to ensure all wheels are stopped then hit the switch. I’d never order a new truck without them but I’m not sure I’d go to the trouble of retrofitting unless you off-road quite a bit. Good luck

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , Slavic S , dhirocz
11-04-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
In my opinion and experience.....

I have ran some pretty wicked country with my 3 way lockers. i think if you have a regular truck they do very well. If you have a heavy frame truck or insert on the truck they don't do nearly as well.
At my buddy's place , there is a uphill intersection where turn around . My 9900 would back right around and scratch slightly with nothing in , with the power divider in ,it won't spin at all .
Now my westernstar with the frame insert won't back around the corner at all with nothing in , barely with the power divider, not real great even with a 3 way locker in . I used to engage the full quad lock.
So I geuss what I am saying ,I'm your truck will do really well with just a 3 - way locker .
On my 3 way lockers ,I have always had the diff lock on the back axel. If you have to chain up , the back axel is usually easier then the front axel.
My diff lock i use completely different then my power divider. A diff lock when engaged will push the truck straight when you try to turn . A power divider won't do that .
I have locked my power divider in for 6 months staight up here in the land of the polar bears . I really don't think it hurts anything . If it does wear the power divider out a little faster , I am more then o.k with that . I think its still way cheaper then the excess tire wear and drive train wear then not using it, when the conditions are right.even on a mountain pass or gravel I run with my divider in.
Some food for thought anyway.
If it not much more I would still do a quad lock , just be careful the first time you try to turn with it in .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
11-08-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
That's alot to take in.

So apparently the no spin is a series of automatic lockers that fit into an open carrier kind of like a posi, and something like a DDH40 differential carriers would be a manually operated locker. I would imagine the no spin lockers arent too harsh in operation if they are fully automatic.

I can see putting one in the rear axle so it can be turned on an off. Maybe using the nospin in the front with a manual locker in the rear? The price for an open vs a nospin carrier is pretty much the same.

I'll also be calling dana to confirm the interchangeability of the DSH40 and DDH40 within the DSP40 housing. Everything I see points in this direction. It would be a more suitable carrier for the trucks application.

If I am going to spend the money, I may as well dial it in.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
11-09-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
I use a rear locker in all my trucks we only need it when empty as San Diego doesn't get much snow, just never leave a locker on when loaded on dry pavement I install an buzzer alarm when engaged so nobody forgets to turn it off
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-09-2020, (Subject: No spin lockers ) 
I would never put a posi ( automatic )locker in but thats just me .
When I get time , I'll try to put it into more detail for guys that have not had much to do with them .
In the meantime your welcome to give me a call and I can explain in great deal .
Just p.m me .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.