International LONESTAR
11-15-2020, (Subject: International LONESTAR ) 
International LONESTAR
Hey guys I wanted to get y’all’s opinion on a 2016 international LONESTAR with a isx15 Cummins engine.. I was thinking of leasing one but don’t know much about how they run . I work in the oilfields so I’m on roads about 85% of the time and on dirt roads 15% more or less.. are they good working trucks or are they made just for OTR type work.. any advice is appreciated
replyreply
RE: International LONESTAR
They are a lot like a cascadia... I would think that it would not be the best choice of truck for hanging around in the dirt unless it was specifically set up for it.

Also, too many people do not consider the rear ratios, the rear locking options, and a whole lot of other things specific to the operations and conditions that the truck will be expected to perform under.

maybe a couple ppl who do that type of work will chime in with their opinions as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
When i used to work the oilfields, it was in w900, and it held up very well. Western Star, would be a good choice, provided it doesn't have all the plastic side fairing's. Avoid all the plastic truck's. lol

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Lonestars are simply a prostar with a fancy hood and a bit bigger cooling package that's about it. As far as maintenance costs and parts costs between the pro and lone the lone will be almost 3 times more with air filters being almost 400 bucks and not well designed against dusting in dirty environments. Theirs also an ego premium on replacement parts because it's a big hood truck.

Learned this first hand with my lonestar. I'll never buy a big hood truck again I'll spec an aero truck for the work.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Tall tires, the correct gear ratios, lockers, and no plastic fairings or any of that nonsense. I have a ProStar, it would not last long in the oil fields running off road.

Western Stars, Petes, old Freithliner Classics. Believe it or not, when I ran up in North Dakota, our Freightliner Classics were the most durable trucks with fewer breakdowns and mechanical issues. These were 1990's models.

I was just up in ND, second tour, and we were running new Freightliner day cabs, the Coronado version. They were pretty stout and ran the Detroits, with tall rubber. We were hauling diesel fuel to frack sites, so say 30% off road. I was impressed, they held up pretty good. The KW's we had, 800's, were rattle traps, always minor stuff breaking, really poor quality builds and not suited for heavy duty work if you ask me. And they were ordered/spec'd for this type of work, none of us liked to drive those and avoided at all costs. These trucks were all 2020 to 2018 models.

I would stay away from KW products.

And make sure you have plenty of room behind the cab on the frame rails for any pumps or anything else you may need to hang back there.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55
i would say if you want a truck to last off road with large swings in axle angles a boxed frame and no aluminum suspension hangers or crossmembers make sure they are all steel and not paper thin.

after that make sure all items that move have no non greaseable joints get them as all greaseable as they will get used and wear out faster than an OTR truck vs greaseable parts that can be greased every week to 2 weeks.

other than that im sure theres some people on here that actualy work in these enviroments that can contribute more info on normal duty parts that can be upgraded to something heavy duty.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
11-16-2020, (Subject: International LONESTAR ) 
wtf is so special about the air filters on that truck? I buy air filters for 35-40 bucks...
replyreply
My opinion is at the very least get the twin external air breathers for dusty environments .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
specal design filter only fits lonestar no other vehicle.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.