turbo leaking oil
07-16-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
RE: turbo leaking oil
hey a shocker!! i am friends with the owner of that company and have been to their engineering shop alot and they are the real deal.
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  hey a shocker!! i am friends with the owner of that company and have been to their engineering shop alot and they are the real deal.
Which engineering shop Unilevers? The turbo one they were talking about?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  hey a shocker!! i am friends with the owner of that company and have been to their engineering shop alot and they are the real deal.

no in the pic you have a shocker shutoff - im talking those guys
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  

no in the pic you have a shocker shutoff - im talking those guys
Oh, ok. Just to clarify, I do not have one on my truck yet. I will soon so that being said, are you a dealer for them? If so, what is the price point?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  If turbo runs away turn truck off. Throw truck into high gear and start it. That will kill the run away turbo. Just FYI.

I think he meant put it in high gear and stall it.

Yes It'll stall the motor and shut it down. Won't "kill" your turbo.

Tried it once in a pinch when turbo started eating oil.
replyreply
07-17-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
(07-16-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  If turbo runs away turn truck off. Throw truck into high gear and start it. That will kill the run away turbo. Just FYI.

I think he meant put it in high gear and stall it.

Yes It'll stall the motor and shut it down. Won't "kill" your turbo.

Tried it once in a pinch when turbo started eating oil.

Many times, if the turbo billet wheel breaks off or the face seal completely goes out, and the turbo is pumping oil into the intake of the engine,.... the RPM of the engine will raise so high that there will be no way to get one in gear to do what you are saying. It is called engine runaway, and the engine will destroy itself in no time, starving itself of oil pressure. Your only hope is to stuff rags/shirt/whatever into the air breather can to get it under control, but even then,.. it would be sheer luck to get it stopped.

I have even heard arguments of people saying they would take a hammer to the CAC piping or boots,.. but that is extremely dangerous and it will burn you badly/cause a fire. hot oil will come spraying out!.

With oil pouring into the intake of an engine,.. There is usually no stopping it. The engine will not need electrical power or anything to keep going at that point. The oil becomes the fuel that revs it out of control.

Once it revs up very high,.. your best bet is to run like hell away from it!.... If a piston of other component comes through the block,,.. it can kill you.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yep, once they go, Katy bar the door! KABOOOOOOM!!!!! Seen the aftermath in the oil field, not pretty.
replyreply
A few years ago on a nice hot day heard a loud pop just before turning into truck stop. Parked the truck 200 feet later. Turned it off and looked around. Didn't realize it was turbo. Turned truck back on and ran normal for a few minutes. Rev-ed the motor a little and rpms ran away to 1900 white oil raining from the sky. Turned the truck off but kept right at 1900 with smoke so thick couldn't see my hands in front of me. Boss had a clever trick to Pop truck in highest gear you can shove it into with the sole intent to stall it. Used about 3-4 gallons of oil in the fiasco. It ran on these high RPM's for a few minutes before I could turn it off.

It is nice to have instant access to old timers who've "been there, done that." Stopping a run away turbo was not taught in class at driving school.

Motor still runs great 2.5 years later. Its a CM870. Turbo had about 700,000 miles on it cummins turbo. Made for an unforgettable moment.

But it worked real good to stop the turbo. Probably wont work all the time but I think its a once in a lifetime experience.

Some oil from dryer in the pic.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201607/post_2083_1468808219_f55d3bb42ab8623ba2d54654ef231d57.jpg
replyreply
07-18-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
The loud pop you heard is your CAC hose . The oil already was in your CAC . When you started again it start getting the oil from there . If your CAC hose was ok , good luck turning this engine off with turbo pushing air and oil into your engine . The picture shows exactly that .
You stated the engine got to 1900 rpm and this support what I said about the CAC hose and lack of boost .
And at last . Engines runaway! Not turbos !
When we say or write anything here please , at least let's try to be correct as possible!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.