turbo leaking oil
07-18-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
RE: turbo leaking oil
I was once told from an old log truck driver to use your fire extinguisher. To spray in to the air filter. The extinguisher suck up the oxygen.
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  I was once told from an old log truck driver to use your fire extinguisher. To spray in to the air filter. The extinguisher suck up the oxygen.

this is 100% right and the safest way both on the engine and the operator.

grab a CO2 fire extinguisher and blast it into the air intake/turbo intake - it will stall it out due to lack of oxygen. i personally was in a 3406B that ran away and i got it into gear and the clutch wouldnt hold it and let go and it went anways.

anyone ever set the governor on a 2 stroke detroit..... those get fun fast.
replyreply
Unfortunately there's no more CO2 fire extinguishers in the trucks now days. Even at the shops.
Sarcastically I'll say : We're at the modern age now !!!
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Unfortunately there's no more CO2 fire extinguishers in the trucks now days. Even at the shops.

theres a big co2 one at my shop - i wouldnt be without it.
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(07-18-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Unfortunately there's no more CO2 fire extinguishers in the trucks now days. Even at the shops.

theres a big co2 one at my shop - i wouldnt be without it.

Why I'm not surprised? He he he .....
replyreply
(07-17-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  A few years ago on a nice hot day heard a loud pop just before turning into truck stop. Parked the truck 200 feet later. Turned it off and looked around. Didn't realize it was turbo. Turned truck back on and ran normal for a few minutes. Rev-ed the motor a little and rpms ran away to 1900 white oil raining from the sky. Turned the truck off but kept right at 1900 with smoke so thick couldn't see my hands in front of me. Boss had a clever trick to Pop truck in highest gear you can shove it into with the sole intent to stall it. Used about 3-4 gallons of oil in the fiasco. It ran on these high RPM's for a few minutes before I could turn it off.

It is nice to have instant access to old timers who've "been there, done that." Stopping a run away turbo was not taught in class at driving school.

Motor still runs great 2.5 years later. Its a CM870. Turbo had about 700,000 miles on it cummins turbo. Made for an unforgettable moment.

But it worked real good to stop the turbo. Probably wont work all the time but I think its a once in a lifetime experience.

Some oil from dryer in the pic.

Thank you for sharing that with us. It explains your first post well, but it does sound like you got quite lucky in what was done.

I also like the fire extinguisher idea. Was curious about that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  A few years ago on a nice hot day heard a loud pop just before turning into truck stop. Parked the truck 200 feet later. Turned it off and looked around. Didn't realize it was turbo. Turned truck back on and ran normal for a few minutes. Rev-ed the motor a little and rpms ran away to 1900 white oil raining from the sky. Turned the truck off but kept right at 1900 with smoke so thick couldn't see my hands in front of me. Boss had a clever trick to Pop truck in highest gear you can shove it into with the sole intent to stall it. Used about 3-4 gallons of oil in the fiasco. It ran on these high RPM's for a few minutes before I could turn it off.

It is nice to have instant access to old timers who've "been there, done that." Stopping a run away turbo was not taught in class at driving school.

Motor still runs great 2.5 years later. Its a CM870. Turbo had about 700,000 miles on it cummins turbo. Made for an unforgettable moment.

But it worked real good to stop the turbo. Probably wont work all the time but I think its a once in a lifetime experience.

Some oil from dryer in the pic.

Thank you for sharing that with us. It explains your first post well, but it does sound like you got quite lucky in what was done.

I also like the fire extinguisher idea. Was curious about that.

Was thinking of something like this to install in the intake

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201607/post_675_1468853348_df2a007f5c7485380a36e737ab23a870.png
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  Was thinking of something like this to install in the intake

Why?
I'm serious, why would you deliberately put anything into your engine?
If you are seriously that concerned about it, put a Positive Air Shut Off on your truck. That is exactly what it is, when activated it closes either a gate or butterfly valve that is positioned just before your intake manifold and it Positively Shuts Air Flow INTO the motor OFF! It has zero potential contaminants, and in no way harms any internal components. In fact it actually slows the motor to a stop as the oxygen is consumed without the torque shock load of slamming it into gear.
The only other item that will absolutely shut down a motor without internal component harm is a large source of inert gas (CO2, Halon, N2), which is why Unlievers has one at his shop. It is not cost effective for him to install a PASO on every truck he works on.
Any individual on the other hand, would be financially way ahead to just instal a PASO.
CAD$1143 is list price for the PH3. This is a PacBrake product that every OEM truck manufacturer has access to and either has in stock or can order it in for you. It only takes a couple of hours to install.
http://pacbrake.com/valving-solutions/ai...rhalt-ph3/
Watch the first video on the left side of the window, it shows a Series 60 starting to "runaway" and get shut down safely.
This one is about CAD$1500, and Unilevers knows and probably endorses this one...
http://www.headwindsolutions.ca/download...hutoff.pdf

$1k-1500 won't even start to cover the labor to clean the mess of a chemical fire extinguisher, never mind the damage to the internal components of your engine...

Systems like the previous post with fire extinguisher bottles are designed and intended for gas, alcohol, and most particularly for nitrous oxide (an oxygen bearing gas) that have low flash points and keep burning violently with atmospheric pressure (or oxygen bearing gas input). If you can get diesel to burn in atmospheric pressure situations, you know it doesn't burn violently (unless large quantities producing extreme heat are present), so all you need to do is eliminate the Oxygen to stop combustion. If it wasn't that simple, it would be law to have extinguisher bottle systems on diesel engines in and around gas production facilities. It is that simple, which is why (in Canada) it is law to have PASO on Diesel engines operating in and around gas production facilities.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-18-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(07-18-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  Was thinking of something like this to install in the intake

Why?
I'm serious, why would you deliberately put anything into your engine?
If you are seriously that concerned about it, put a Positive Air Shut Off on your truck. That is exactly what it is, when activated it closes either a gate or butterfly valve that is positioned just before your intake manifold and it Positively Shuts Air Flow INTO the motor OFF! It has zero potential contaminants, and in no way harms any internal components. In fact it actually slows the motor to a stop as the oxygen is consumed without the torque shock load of slamming it into gear.
The only other item that will absolutely shut down a motor without internal component harm is a large source of inert gas (CO2, Halon, N2), which is why Unlievers has one at his shop. It is not cost effective for him to install a PASO on every truck he works on.
Any individual on the other hand, would be financially way ahead to just instal a PASO.
CAD$1143 is list price for the PH3. This is a PacBrake product that every OEM truck manufacturer has access to and either has in stock or can order it in for you. It only takes a couple of hours to install.
http://pacbrake.com/valving-solutions/ai...rhalt-ph3/
Watch the first video on the left side of the window, it shows a Series 60 starting to "runaway" and get shut down safely.
This one is about CAD$1500, and Unilevers knows and probably endorses this one...
http://www.headwindsolutions.ca/download...hutoff.pdf

$1k-1500 won't even start to cover the labor to clean the mess of a chemical fire extinguisher, never mind the damage to the internal components of your engine...

Systems like the previous post with fire extinguisher bottles are designed and intended for gas, alcohol, and most particularly for nitrous oxide (an oxygen bearing gas) that have low flash points and keep burning violently with atmospheric pressure (or oxygen bearing gas input). If you can get diesel to burn in atmospheric pressure situations, you know it doesn't burn violently (unless large quantities producing extreme heat are present), so all you need to do is eliminate the Oxygen to stop combustion. If it wasn't that simple, it would be law to have extinguisher bottle systems on diesel engines in and around gas production facilities. It is that simple, which is why (in Canada) it is law to have PASO on Diesel engines operating in and around gas production facilities.
Sorry didn't explain my self but it was something I was looking into before I saw this butter fly device. Don't get too excited bro. I had N14 runaway on me so it was something I came across
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.