turbo leaking oil
02-26-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
RE: turbo leaking oil
My truck goes to some pretty remote places. I don't need re-built headaches form a re-man shop. the downtime alone is worth the extra money for a certified part.

Only a certified Cummins reman on my truck. I ain't taking no chances for engine runaway or unexpected failures.

Is that shop going to buy you a new enigne if the thing causes engine runaway?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Reinstall and check it after 4-5 days of running. If it passes that check it 2 weeks down the road. If it fails again the warranty isn't worth your downtime.
Like Rawze said, very expensive gamble.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
A bad manifold gasket on either block or the turbo mounting gasket can cause a leak from the seals. It makes turbo spin slower than it should and makes a vacum at the joint.
replyreply
okay thats something interesting with a vacum at idle. the reason i started checking was cause at idle it looked like steam coming out my stacks at idle but wasnt that cold out 28f.
replyreply
(02-26-2016 )Cuya Wrote:  A bad manifold gasket form either the block, or the turbo mounting gasket can cause a holset to leak from the seals. It makes the turbo spin slower than it should and makes a vacum at the joint going to the charge air cooler at idle.

so that was you was it? i was gonna say it but was waiting for someone else to pipe up.
replyreply
02-27-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
lol may have to change my user name to old smokey. leaving soon to pick up turbo, just one more quick question if it was a crack in head, piston, or bad valve would their be oil in exhaust manifold before turbo ? i am running !m@m^2 program engine runs great.
replyreply
Don't want to scare you slowpoke but from my experience you have really bad sign. What is crank pan pressure (blow-by)is on this engine? can you check it at idle state and hard-hard pull.
ISX 871 I had did the same. Same as you did money waste with re builders. Probably 2 month later mystery was unveil

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201602/post_1794_1456590739_28a96dc50933de6cdb49dec5a3694776.jpg
replyreply
oh man thanks a lot lol
replyreply
02-28-2016, (Subject: turbo leaking oil ) 
(02-26-2016 )Cuya Wrote:  A bad manifold gasket on either block or the turbo mounting gasket can cause a leak from the seals. It makes turbo spin slower than it should and makes a vacum at the joint.

a truck with vnt type turbo, stock tuning, and high turbo positon will always have positive pressure. A leak would only lower fuel mileage.

A vacum at outlet of turbo can only happen on trucks with non-vnt turbo or if they have vnt tuning in them that slows down the turbo to a low position at idle.

If someone has custom tuning and low vnt positions, they need to make sure they do not have leaking manifold gaskets and they also always need a low positive crank case pressure. This would help to prevent oil leakage at face of turbo.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.