Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer...
11-26-2020, (Subject: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer... ) 
RE: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer...
if you got the truck jacked up put a block of wood near the tire your spinning as a reference to make it ez to see if the tire has a high/low spot. its a quick way to see if you got one out of round.

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
11-27-2020, (Subject: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer... ) 
Mine had 1.1 million on it when I rebuilt the king pins. No shimmy after hitting a bump but you could visually see the rims were not sitting straight up and down while looking at it from the front.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
11-28-2020, (Subject: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer... ) 
Well, the problem is solved, two new Michelin X Line Energy Z tires were the fix. Now the truck is like new, so new it scares me! LOL! Thanks for everyone's input!

What was the cause, no clue... I pulled the truck in the bay at the TA in Breezewood PA, went up to the desk to check back in, and by time I got back they already had the tires off of the rims! hell of a shop they have there, all of the latest lazy mechanic tire dismount and mounting equipment known to man. They are fast.

I had them high speed balanced, 4oz on one tire, 3oz on the other, the kid did good. Came close to zeroing out a few times, but could not quite get there. Bottom line, all is now smooth up front.

They gave me $80 for the casings... Sitting side by side to the new tires, I went through some tread. A lot of tread. It was time to replace, jackhammer or not.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , marek4792 , hhow55 , SquareOne , Mattman , stevesparts , DVT873 , Magard , Volvo8873
11-28-2020, (Subject: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer... ) 
./uploads/202011/post_856_1606620119_5181dc7a32d822464ef49bd01b6ac9e4.jpg

Mr Loo, happy about his new steer tire's.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo
11-29-2020, (Subject: Steering Wheel feels like a Jackhammer... ) 
Its amazing how much a faulty steer tire will screw things up. Thanks for the update.

I don't know why, but everytime Mr. Loo praises a corporate truckstop it makes me cringe and roll my eyes... probably because they have literally screwed up, overcharged and damaged more on my equipment then they ever have repaired correctly. The ONLY good thing I'll say about these places are that they can get you out of a tight spot... but usually at a very high price and you'll more than likely have to rework what they did.

Be careful going to these places with any kind of trust. Just because 1 mechanic may do a half way decent job does not mean the other 90% have a clue what they're doing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Loo, out of curiosity, what did you end up paying per tire for the Michelin's? I'm assuming you're using a corporate account so they'd most likely be much cheaper than the prices I've gotten.

Currently, I'm running a set of Toyo's on the steer and they've served me well, but as mentioned in an earlier thread, one of them did start an odd wear from being 'out of round' at about 60-70k miles. With 125k on them currently, one is about 7/32 whereas the out of round is a little shorter at 5-6/32. Im thinking I may be able to squeeze another 10-12k before the shorter one is out of compliance.

Based strictly on CPM, I'm trying to figure if I could really do any better with the Michelin's vs what I currently have. At the price I received for the Michelins/tire, I'd have to nearly double the mileage out of them to match the Toyo's at this point.
replyreply
(11-29-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  Loo, out of curiosity, what did you end up paying per tire for the Michelin's?

Using a cash account I just bought a set of lo pro 22.5 Michelin x-lines for $1235 after casing credit, installed but not balanced(centramatics) and with state sales tax. They should be good for at least 160k and two years of running in a regional environment.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
^^^^^^^^Same here ^^^^^

Except I snuck 185,000 miles out if mine before I bought another pair. I junked them at 6/32. They were just getting cupped and thin on rain channels and I can't stand the front end whiping out on me on wet and snowy roads. Those days of running tires down to legal standards are long gone for me. Its waaaaaay to dangerous.

I just junked a set of 8 Bridgestone m710 at 8/32 with 350,000 miles on them because they became hard and I started to experience jackknifing problems in the rain. Scared the ever living hell out of me. So much so I chose a different drives that are supposed to be comparable to the M710. Hankook DL15. We'll see. So far 0.5 mpg loss that was to be expected till the break in. But jackknifing problem solved. Haha
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , schISM
(11-29-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Its amazing how much a faulty steer tire will screw things up. Thanks for the update.

I don't know why, but everytime Mr. Loo praises a corporate truckstop it makes me cringe and roll my eyes... probably because they have literally screwed up, overcharged and damaged more on my equipment then they ever have repaired correctly. The ONLY good thing I'll say about these places are that they can get you out of a tight spot... but usually at a very high price and you'll more than likely have to rework what they did.

Be careful going to these places with any kind of trust. Just because 1 mechanic may do a half way decent job does not mean the other 90% have a clue what they're doing.

LOL! I told the kid working on the truck the same thing, “I hope I don’t have to repair anything you do after I leave”.... He laughed, said he hears that comment all the time. Well so far so good... Fingers crossed!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.