ISX Cam wedges
12-02-2020, (Subject: ISX Cam wedges ) 
ISX Cam wedges
Whats the correct for procedure for installing cam wedges? Only info i could find on quickserve is

""""CAUTION
Do not drive the wedge into place. Engine damage can occur.
Insert the correct timing wedge to lock the valve camshaft. Lightly tap the top of the timing wedge with a mallet to confirm it is properly seated.
Verify the wedge with the proper angle is used and the wedge is properly seated in its installed position."""""

How do i know what the correct wedge is, and how to verify the wedge with proper angle is used?

Im planning to replace front gear housing gasket, so ive been studying quickserve, but cant find directions for using the cam wedges...Thanks for any info
replyreply
RE: ISX Cam wedges
before doing anything rotate engine until you are able to insert pin into block to lock down crankshaft. Remove rocker arms depending on engine you may have injector rockers and valve rockers. But remove them. Cams should turn freely. rotate camshaft(s) until you see the flat side against head. Insert wedge down into head you should be able to rotate camshaft until you feel it snug. you can look at it and see it flush with camshaft. MAKE SURE to USE the CORRECT wedge for your engine. once in place your all good to go...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , redbeard , Signature620 , mikealike
Cam wedge identification is located on the data plate on the valve cover.
Find where it says "timing code"
Should either be 4,6 or 06 (all I've dealt with on cummins)
Timing wedge will be marked with those numbers
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard
12-03-2020, (Subject: ISX Cam wedges ) 
This is for an ISX 871..

A 2250 or 2350 is mostly the same procedure but the hole in the block where th pin goes has an allen plug instead of the crank case hose.

Like others mentioned ... WHATEVER YOU DO!!!--- The cams cannot be set with the rockers bolted in place... all of them have to be removed and the cam need to move move freely by hand.

Also, when installing the gears, it has to be done a certian way to ensure they will not slip later on.. it is very important to remove all old glue, tarnish, etc... and to acetone the mating surfaces ... not even a clean-hand finger print is allowed to be on the mating surfaces ... and to use the proper amount of loc-tite 609 (no substitutions, only 609 can be used, not 608or other green loc-tite formulas) .. or it will eventually slip later on. Here is some info on that too...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks all, for the info! Is there any other tips/tricks for doing gear housing gasket? Should i be using some rtv gasket maker along with the new gasket?
Also i purchased some aftermarket cam wedges/pin and cam gear puller on ebay, $60 for everything.Is this ok or is it recommended to use only cummins tools?
replyreply
(12-03-2020 )eggtrucks Wrote:  ... i purchased some aftermarket cam wedges/pin and cam gear puller on ebay, $60 for everything.Is this ok or is it recommended to use only cummins tools?

You need to at least compare them to an official tool to ensure the angles cut into the wedges are accurate.

BE careful of some types of gear pullers for the ISX.. the wrong type can cause the cam to jump back when the gear breaks loose, It will blow-out the retaining plate in the back of the head. Seen that a few times with people who try to use regular steering wheel or gear pullers on those cams.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.