Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on.
07-26-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on.
New here. I have a 09 Pete 387 with Cummins ISX. Well my speedo started going haywire and is stuck on 25mph. Of course that meant I had no Cruise but I wasn't worried I had only 1,000 miles till home and my mechanic who said should be fine to drive. Well now my dpf regen light is on and while it usually goes off after 60 or so miles it's still on after 200 miles. Never did that b4 and I have about 700 miles left. What should I do?
replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
RE: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on.
Unless I miss my guess the dpf will not regen at that slow of a speed. I don't remember what the speed has to be over before a regen can occur. Someone knows the answer to that question I'm sure.
replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
RE: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on.
(07-27-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Unless I miss my guess the dpf will not regen at that slow of a speed. I don't remember what the speed has to be over before a regen can occur. Someone knows the answer to that question I'm sure.

You can set the speed in Insite. My truck at the default setting was 25 mph. It would start regening as soon as I was going faster than that.

(07-26-2016 )Earlson Wrote:  What should I do?

Have you tried doing a parked regen?

Actually now that I think about it. The truck may not do a parked regen if it thinks you are going 25 mph even though you are parked.

I'm not sure how your truck detects how fast it is going. If it is a sensor in the transmission, I'd try and get underneath and see if you can unplug it. Maybe then the truck will have no idea how fast you are going and you might be able to do a parked regen. I could be completely incorrect. Just a thought.

Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(07-26-2016 )Earlson Wrote:  New here. I have a 09 Pete 387 with Cummins ISX. Well my speedo started going haywire and is stuck on 25mph. Of course that meant I had no Cruise but I wasn't worried I had only 1,000 miles till home and my mechanic who said should be fine to drive. Well now my dpf regen light is on and while it usually goes off after 60 or so miles it's still on after 200 miles. Never did that b4 and I have about 700 miles left. What should I do?

If it is the speed sensor, it could effect the regen process, but as well, the two problems may also be unrelated and just so happen to come all at once. You need to consider both possibilities and here is why,...

The most common cause of the speedo going haywire and going out in that model truck is in fact the speedo itself going bad and not the speed sensor. For this reason, you need to consider that it may be just that, and a coincidence that you are having regen issue too.

==========

Then again,... if it is the speed sensor and not the speedo,... it could effect both.

Toss a coin up is anyones guess.

Start by replacing the speed sensor, a good EGR tune-up, clean or replace the Doser injector, do a forced regen. -- That is what I would likely do any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Trucker Gene
Ok I will try unplugging the sensor first to just get home then check the rest. If I'm just sitting idling it is at 25mph and no it will not do a forced regen I have tried.
replyreply
(07-27-2016 )Earlson Wrote:  Ok I will try unplugging the sensor first to just get home then check the rest. If I'm just sitting idling it is at 25mph and no it will not do a forced regen I have tried.
Speed sensor is $40-$50 in any International dealership. Take a picture you have on the driver door with tranny model and replace it.
replyreply
07-29-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
Why not check the speed sensor with a multimeter?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
07-29-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
you could check resistance with ohm meter but the only way to check it right is with scope
replyreply
08-11-2016, (Subject: Speedometer is out I'm guessing speed sensor is gone out but now DPF light is on. ) 
This thing turned out to be the biggest headache. Original sensor was rusted into the housing. There was another housing on the side that was plugged that was rusted shut as well. Taking it to the third place today to see if they can get it out. Other shop didn't have time to take cover off and try to get out from the inside. Such a simple part has turned into a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.