De mandate exhaust Ideas
12-13-2020, (Subject: De mandate exhaust Ideas ) 
De mandate exhaust Ideas
Hi guys thought I would share some exhaust ideas for anyone looking for an alternative to hollowing out the factory aftertreatment systems.

Three trucks we recently did:
2015 pete 389 short nose - factory exhaust goes above the frame.

./uploads/202012/post_5241_1607873271_1889887f52a8a822aaaad12f284cb8ce.png

This one was the easiest. 5" 45 deg piece on the top side. 5" 90 deg on the bottom. Welded factory style marlon fittings on the inlet and outlet sides so we could use factory clamps. Muffler is 22" full length with an internal baffle. Once I am done replacing my cam, I am going to experiment with the muffler by pounding extra holes through the baffle to get the sound I want and to see how much if any backpressure is created. The muffler has no packing in it just a center baffle. It is quiet with no extra holes.

2010 Kenworth t880 - This truck was the most challenging as the DPF cannister has two outlets. Lots of cutting and test fitment.

./uploads/202012/post_5241_1607873315_8bf6890ab886c2b49e2615774c57518b.png./uploads/202012/post_5241_1607873325_6c5e89d59352871c13388658cf46a15d.png

We custom built the outlet Y pipe with two 90 Deg exhaust pieces and welded marlon fittings into them. For the inlet, we used a 90 Deg piece with a marlon fitting. The same 22" muffler was used. We were limited for total length available so we had to trim the inlet and outlet of the muffler as well as the other pipes to get it right. On this muffler we pounded several holes through the baffle which gave it a little more sound.

2012 Kenworth T880 - this truck was similar to the Pete.

./uploads/202012/post_5241_1607873290_1b16fec2a01cb37fa774ee6beb000ba1.png

Used the same muffler with a 90 Deg piece on either side with marlon fittings and clamps. Had to cut the outlet 90 down and angle it a bit to bring the total length down.

The systems on all trucks were fully functional with no codes present before removal. For some reason in the future if we need to reverse this process everything can be re-installed and factory calibrations downloaded back into the trucks. New DPF and SCR units would be BIG $$ to replace if ever needed.

90 deg and 45 deg pipes were about 45$ CAD each. Mufflers were 120$ CAD each. The killer was the marlon fittings which were like 60$ CAD each just robbery$$ here out in the north. Around 350$ per truck assuming you have the tools to do this yourself.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
RE: De mandate exhaust Ideas
They all look really neat. I would also consider welding on some bungs for the sensors. They more they look like the real deal, the better.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Rawze , SemiSweet
Looks nice for those who might live in a country where the stuff is legal. My concern however is failing an inspection in places where it would be best to keep all the components looking stock. Some places like NJ or Cali, you would not get away with that.

Just throwing that out there for others to consider when reading this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , SemiSweet , Toolguy
(12-13-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Looks nice for those who might live in a country where the stuff is legal. My concern however is failing an inspection in places where it would be best to keep all the components looking stock. Some places like NJ or Cali, you would not get away with that.

Luckily where we are this is not an issue at this point in time. Our trucks are mainly used around the farm hauling grain and shorter cattle runs. Definitely would not run this crossing into the USA or into Ontario.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
12-17-2020, (Subject: De mandate exhaust Ideas ) 
I've found myself more than once day dreaming about some system that looks stock but has free flow through the inside. PLUS a cab mounted switch that actuates an internal valve to divert exhaust flow through some filter medium. Strictly for short term usage, such as an inspection. Of course my biggest hang up is the question of heat reflection.

Just one of those things that would be neat to do, but likely not worth the time or effort needed.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(12-17-2020 )JimT Wrote:  I've found myself more than once day dreaming about some system that looks stock but has free flow through the inside. PLUS a cab mounted switch that actuates an internal valve to divert exhaust flow through some filter medium. Strictly for short term usage, such as an inspection. Of course my biggest hang up is the question of heat reflection.

Just one of those things that would be neat to do, but likely not worth the time or effort needed.

Definitely doable with some spare time and material. The way things are going in the world with increasing emissions testing and laws, mods like this will be probably come to life.

replyreply
(12-17-2020 )JimT Wrote:  I've found myself more than once day dreaming about some system that looks stock but has free flow through the inside. PLUS a cab mounted switch that actuates an internal valve to divert exhaust flow through some filter medium. Strictly for short term usage, such as an inspection. Of course my biggest hang up is the question of heat reflection.

Had that sort of setup on a street driven race car. Had the stock exhaust but right behind the headers we installed electric cut outs. A flip of two switches opened them, basically making it an open header car. With them closed it sounded like a factory car with a little bit of lope.

If a man put a cut out right before a “filter” to open and close the air flow and another one on a pipe that shoots a different direction before the filter. Wouldn’t be that much of an expense if it’s legal where you live.
replyreply
I was thinking something along the lines of a typical dpf with a straight pipe through the center and a valve to divert exhaust flow either through the straight pipe or around the sides through the filter media. Again, only meant for very short term applications (thinking during an inspection when you're running the engine at 1500rpm for the air compressor to recharge the system, or if needed for some sort of exhaust test). Also, the goal would be to look 100% stock from the outside, so you'd have to work inside standard DPF/DOC and/or SCR cans.

BUT, again, I keep going back to the potential for heat to be reflected back toward the engine/turbo.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. Not something that seems worth while as an actual project.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.