2016 prostar with cummins isx15
12-17-2020, (Subject: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15 ) 
2016 prostar with cummins isx15
I am looking at a 2016 prostar with the Cummins isx 15 motor. about 400000 miles on motor
Any freed back on why or why not to by please let me know.
replyreply
RE: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15
Tell us about the truck, what are you going to use it for, gearing in rear end, transmission, deleted or not, fleet truck or privately owned, has the fuel pump been replaced or rebuilt, have you looked under the valve cover, does it smoke at all, etc...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cowboy823
In addition to what Waterloo said, you'll want to check engine hours and compare with mileage to get a good idea how much it's been idling. More idle == lower DOC/DPF/SCR life. Chances are it's already got decent blow-by and some oil consumption, this in addition to a roughly 500,000 mile lifespan means the DPF/DOC *might* already be showing problems (more frequent regens, longer and/or incomplete regens). Unfortunately this is just a common thing with these emissions trucks in the 400,000-600,000mi range with typical fleet neglect practices.

As for fuel pump, that's a 2016 cm2350, most likely came with the updated plungers, meaning no one has opened it up, ever. On the plus side it's right at the perfect interval (400,000 mi) to be rebuilt or replaced before typical problems start to occur. If a rebuild kit/parts are available then your looking at a few hundred and an hour or so of your own labor.

I would definitely try to open the valve cover and visually inspect the cams and rockers. Their condition will give you a lot of insight into how often the oil was changed, how much soot was building up in the oil and if any debris found it's way up there and damaged the cam. If you see any damage in there either walk away or negotiate it down as low as possible and plan on an inframe. Metal debris flaking off the cams/rockers can easily find it's way into bearings and clog up the oil cooler.

Finally, go click on the link above called "My Book", there's a few chapters in there about what you look for when shopping for a truck and what kind of maintencne you should plan to do after purchase but before putting the equipment into service. I know if I had found that book/info before I bought my truck I could have avoided a bunch of problems that cost me way too much money. Probably still would have bought the truck, just would have prevented some tough lessons.

Anyway, if you want more specific recomendations then throw out some more info for us to work with.

-------------

When it comes to Cummins engines, the biggest selling point over other manufacturers is the vast amount of information available to owners, free of charge. Just go register on cummins quickserve for free and enter your ESN and you'll have all the info you need to find parts and tear down and rebuild that entire engine.

If you go on to own a Cummins engine it's highly recommended you pick up a $300 Inline6 adapter from ebay with the Cummins Insite software so you can read codes and troubleshoot any problems that might pop up. Most shops charge about $100 for "computer diagnostics" so, with emissions intact, that adapter pays for itself in 3 uses. Find yourself a decent used laptop (with dvd drive and usb) that runs Windows 7 and you're all set. (Windows 10 works, but Win7 is just easier to set up as that's the OS that the software was originally written for)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , amermextrucker , Snowfarmer , hhow55 , cowboy823
12-19-2020, (Subject: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15 ) 
Thanks for the info..
Will be running gen freight nothing over 800000.
It is a fleet truck. With records
Truck is a 2016 prostar 470000 miles do not know idle hours yet. but will look into this
2.64 rear end 10 speed auto.
Also what are your thought on super singles
replyreply
12-19-2020, (Subject: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15 ) 
(12-19-2020 )cowboy823 Wrote:  ...2.64 rear end 10 speed auto.

That truck has been lugged its whole life... I would not give more than 10k for it knowing it will be in need of an inframe and the rears needed changing out to something like 3.79's make it half-way road/freight worthy.

Auto$shitter tranny with its high operating costs + 0.6 mpg lower fuel efficiency ... not worth it either unless you have a specific/special need for one of those.

That is the trouble with the used truck market right now.. full of trucks that have been abused heavily by tall-arsse engine killing rears by the fleets who could care less if it makes it past the warranty before if frets a liner out of it or carbon packs itself to all he#lll.

-- You could not give me that truck. That is what I think of it any ways. My advice would be for a person to keep looking for something more suited to hauling freight that was designed around lasting a million miles instead of a fleet-crap spec like that which was designed solely to kill the drivers right foot and severely limit power while torturing the engine at its highest torque at low rpm's, all at the cost of the engines longevity, killing to about 50% of normal.

With 2.64 rears in it, you might as well multiply the miles by about 1.8 or so and you will find the true amount miles/age of that engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JimT
12-20-2020, (Subject: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15 ) 
Totally agree with Rawze on the rear/tranny combo. absolutely horrible for anything other then local/regional light weight loads such as LTL or Linehaul. Sounds like something JBHunt would have spec'd.

I'd pass on that and look for something with better gearing. It might be hard to find better gears as the fleet trend has been toward what you are looking at, but even a 3.36 with a 13 speed would be MUCH better then that option. The 12 speed autoshifts aren't bad, but they tend to be programmed to operate in the 1200-1600 rpm range which is too low for long term engine life on these ISX engines.

----------

As for super singles, nothing wrong with them. With the modern low rolling resistance dual tires there really isn't any special reason to choose super singles anymore. Pretty much owner preference. ---- Personally I'd rather the redundancy of dual tires. If one goes out on you then you still have another tire holding up the axle. You can limp it down the road if needed, possibly saving huge road call costs. But, that's my opinion.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
12-21-2020, (Subject: 2016 prostar with cummins isx15 ) 
(12-20-2020 )JimT Wrote:  As for super singles, nothing wrong with them. With the modern low rolling resistance dual tires there really isn't any special reason to choose super singles anymore. Pretty much owner preference. ---- Personally I'd rather the redundancy of dual tires. If one goes out on you then you still have another tire holding up the axle. You can limp it down the road if needed, possibly saving huge road call costs. But, that's my opinion.

most people report that it costs them $1000+ every time they loose a tire on super-singles. It always destroys the rims and sometimes also causes damage to the axle/hub.-- I will never run them myself due to this. One person hauling tankers said that he has seen SS's cause rollovers on some types tanker operations. Just some thoughts and considerations when looking at trucks.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , cowboy823
Thanks for all the info.
Will look at trucks with dif rear gears.
With the international this is the specs i have been finding.
Any thoughts on a KW with a paacar. Do not know anything about this motor.
Very thankful for all the help just staring my own company. Any feedback on any truck would be great..
Again thanks for all the help..
replyreply
I would look at an International before a PACCAR product, KW and Pete have really dropped in quality, and they are expensive to repair in comparison to the International product.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.