Rebuild
12-21-2020, (Subject: Rebuild ) 
RE: Rebuild
That is about it, drop the pan and let sit overnight under pressure.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Buy the pressure tester, this one might work?? You'll have it in a couple days, then you don't have to guess.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B73VQQ9/ref...UTF8&psc=1

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
As for tools, you'll also need the wedge to set the cam shaft timing, pin for the crankshaft, one or more pullers 2 or 3 jaw, torque wrenches that can do as little as in think 22 in-lbs all the way up to 300-500 ft lbs. A heavy duty impact is pretty much a must for doing some of the 90 and 180 degree turns after initial torque values on many bolts.

Vacuum pump to refill coolant. Some kind of crane to lift the head on and off. Metric impact sockets and wrenches all the way up to about 34mm. (8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18, and 24 were the most common sizes I remember grabbing time and time again) And plenty of other odds and ends tools that you may or may not have on hand.

There's also a pretty nice tool to pull the liners out. Rawze had me tapping them out at first with a stick and hammer, but that tool ended up being soooooo much nicer and faster!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
12-22-2020, (Subject: Rebuild ) 
If i had a blown head gasket would the coolent over pressure vent be open constantly? Same thing with the air compressor pushing air into the coolant?
replyreply
I came up with this ghetto test and had no bubbles with the engine at 150f, i am going to get it hot going to my consignee and test it like that again

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I forgot to mention, engine running at 1400 rpm. Pumped down to activate the air compressor and no bubbles
replyreply
Alright got the engine nice and hot and still not over 15psi, i also added more coolent to try and force the issue but nothing still.
replyreply
The exhaust gas, if there is something truly wrong, could be so minimal that you will not see a pressure increase in the coolant system idling in your driveway. I know on mine it slowly got worse, to the point it was blowing hoses and eventually blew my radiator apart.

My first tell, was coolant rising and falling in the bottle after finishing for the day. Then down the road, a month or two, I would see that coolant had went past the coolant bottle cap.

Then soon after the coolant lines would start seeping coolant. Then the older coolant lines started splitting, with the new lines eventually just blowing apart.

It was all over when the motor was shooting coolant up over the top of the sleeper when idling in my driveway... The entire process took about a year and a half to get to that point. So, you have time if there is something wrong...

Me, I would drop the pan, pressurize the coolant system to 20psi, let sit over night and in the morning someone needs to be under the motor and someone else barring the motor over. You need a quiet area, because if there is a fretted liner, you will hear the coolant gurgling if it is to that stage. You will also need a flashlight, a good one, bright, you are looking for coolant on the liner walls as your buddy bars the motor over.

I think the photo will show up... This is my #5 liner, photo I took prior to tearing my motor down. This is what you are looking for. Click on the photo to get a better view...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , JMBT
If i can make it a year before needing a rebuild i will be set for it. Doing it myself or paying somebody so i can only hope for that. I have not had any coolent lines leak besides the apu ones.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.