turbo blanket
01-08-2021, (Subject: turbo blanket ) 
RE: turbo blanket
(01-07-2021 )JimT Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Someone would be far better off if they installed an exhaust manifold wrap and then proceeded to wrap their entire exhaust as much as possible without wrapping the turbo itself.

-- Lastly, the exhaust wrap does not keep in more heat making more pressure.. That is not correct information.

Good to know. Had considered doing this at some point, mainly to reduce heat bleeding into the cab from the weed burner setup on my truck. Put it out of my mind when the dpf was emptied, but might look into in the future if it can actually help increase flow. With all the back and forth of the exhaust piping under my cab there's a lot of surface area to transfer heat.

Although, the extra heat under the cab isn't a bad thing in the winter months...

When I installed an exhaust wrap on my pipe between the back of the turbo and the DOC inlet (2011 prostar), it made a huge difference inside the sleeper area of the truck in the summer time. The A/C system did not have to work nearly as hard. I also gained a good 0.2 ~ 0.3 ish mpg.

(speculation)...
I would imagine that some of the fuel mileage gains are from the wrap itself, and some from the A/C not having to work as hard + engine fan not operating on as often. Add it all up and over time it could be more savings than a person might think.

I had someone from the forum that visited me about 4 years ago who wrapped their entire exhaust system starting behind the turbo and converted it to a weed-burner, down pipe in the wind for the venturi effect. They gained easily, a good 0.4~ or more mpg. Again, it was a prostar except his had a 2350 engine, as it was a 2014 model.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , PuroCumminsPower , LargeCar , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
turbo blanket - woolybully35us - 12-20-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - Waterloo - 12-20-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - smorgan87 - 12-21-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - Rawze - 12-21-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - JimT - 01-07-2021,
RE: turbo blanket - Rawze - 01-08-2021
RE: turbo blanket - Rawze - 12-21-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - DVT873 - 12-22-2020,
RE: turbo blanket - Rawze - 01-09-2021,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.