Cam bearings
07-27-2016, (Subject: Cam bearings ) 
Cam bearings
Has anyone done there own cam bearings at home. If you did what did you use or did really need to use a ram to push them out and inn like in Cummins server instructions
replyreply
RE: Cam bearings
Generally, if the cam bearings are worn then the rest of the head is also worn and needing remanufactured. Last thing you want to do is halfway repair it now for low price then later have a valve drop in the cylinder and punch a hole in your piston.
replyreply
I am with VIN on this one. when the head is ready for new bearings,.. its time for a new head. Valve guides and everything else are worn down with it and you will have more issues with it in the end.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The reason I ask is because my cam are starting to wear and the engine only uses 1/2 gallon between oil changes 15 to 18 thousand miles
replyreply
(07-27-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  The reason I ask is because my cam are starting to wear and the engine only uses 1/2 gallon between oil changes 15 to 18 thousand miles

I still think you should replace the whole head if the bearings are worn out and it has more than 450k miles on it. Replacing just the bearings is asking for more trouble down the road.

YES, you need special hydraulic pressing tools to replace them. They have to be pressed in and out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-27-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-27-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  The reason I ask is because my cam are starting to wear and the engine only uses 1/2 gallon between oil changes 15 to 18 thousand miles

I still think you should replace the whole head if the bearings are worn out and it has more than 450k miles on it. Replacing just the bearings is asking for more trouble down the road.

YES, you need special hydraulic pressing tools to replace them. They have to be pressed in and out.

Yeah I hear you Rawze. I did hear you say something like that in your engine rebuild video. That 700,000 may be a good time to replace the head if it where a maintenance thing to do.
replyreply
So you should replace your cam bearings and head if your burning 1/2 gallon of oil between oil changes?
replyreply
07-28-2016, (Subject: Cam bearings ) 
(07-27-2016 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  So you should replace your cam bearings and head if your burning 1/2 gallon of oil between oil changes?

No . You don't replace head just because engine is consuming 1/2 gallon of oil between oil changes !
Simply inspect the head and replace what need to be replaced. It's not rocket science for God sake.
If you don't have the resources and skills to do that, you should have the dough to buy new one and pay someone to do it for you .
But guess what ??? You never gonna learn anything this way !!!
replyreply
07-28-2016, (Subject: Cam bearings ) 
(07-27-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  

Highly skilled mechanic doesn't need special hydraulic pressing tools to replace them.
I said it before, and I'll say it again .
..... Even the best tool in the hands of a man good for nothing is just a piece of metal !!!....

I guess Rawze is saying what he's saying just to keep you on the safe side and out of trouble.
Not everybody have the skills to do that . Other doesn't have guts ...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.