VGT actuator install and calibration non OEM tune
04-01-2017, (Subject: VGT actuator install and calibration non OEM tune ) 
VGT actuator install and calibration non OEM tune
Can you still do an VGT actuator install and calibrate on a engine that has a non-oem tune? Truck was purchased this way. It had a 3316 active code so we thought we would see if we could get to the bottom of it. Can't get past the install actuator step and insite reports the installation procedure has failed. The actuator does not try to move during the process.
Now it has an active 2449 active code actuator not calibrated. ECM code AV10040.39

Truck had no cel light on, acted normal except I don't think there was any actual VGT ring movement, by listening to it you would have never known it had a VGT. No noticeable turbo speed changes during idling or what you could perceive running around the yard ect.

When I removed the actuator to have a look the arm was positioned right over the hole. Turbo has been replaced recently, arm moves very smooth, not stuck. Actuator still has red paint and I would assume is original.

Truck needs to go to work monday....LOL! Tried restoring the ecm image thinking maybe the cal would copy over and no dice there thinking I could get back to where I was.

Any idea's?
replyreply
RE: VGT actuator install and calibration non OEM tune
Yes you can.

When you remove the situation and run the first step of the install (actuator must be off) you'll hear the actuator make very loud noises that sound like a old cash registers "cha ching"

If it doesn't make that noise and fails there then your actuators junk. If it passes that step but fails when you screw it back on then it's likely the turbo.

Move the wedge back and forth on the turbo. Does it scrape or hang up at all? Line the hole up with the hole in the wedge when you put actuator back on.

Rawze has actuator st video on checking your turbo.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Unplugged the VGT and I can get the codes to go away, doggy on the bottom but fuels to 100% so the tune does not seem to care if a VGT is there which leads me believe it's one of the "crappy tunes" folks talk about on here.

Now that I think about it the little I drove this truck the exhaust brake felt wimpy and pretty sure there was no VGT action during braking before I messed with the actuator.
replyreply
The cartridge and compressor housing all looked brand new when we got it, very little shaft play. The arm moves really smooth as well.

Actuator is painted which makes me think it could be the original. No sound when I try the install and cal.

Other odd thing is though when I try to do a cylinder cut out I get a message the engine needs to be running when in fact it is running.

Insite 7.6.2.240 but don't have anything else to verify it on. Only have one ISX and I'm not warming up to it.
replyreply
Well this seems simple enough. Reflash the original cal file into it and @m*m^2 it.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
04-02-2017, (Subject: VGT actuator install and calibration non OEM tune ) 
Sounds like a bad/unstable ECM program to me.

Unplugging VGT makes no codes?

Insite no longer knows if engine is running or not?

Can't calibrate turbo?

Back up the ECM image with Caltherm (so that you do not loose it). Then flash it back to its original factory file with Insite. See if those problems go away. If they do then you know what it was.

send me an e-mail copy of the program that is on the ecm for review.

Sound to me like you need to see what hardware changes were made too. Verify things were done correctly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.