Changing your thinking for the better ...
01-15-2021, (Subject: Changing your thinking for the better ... ) 
Changing your thinking for the better ...
==

(Not directed towards anyone, but making a blanket statement in general. Just making a point here for reference ) ...

Some words on dis-belief ... Some words on "But what i have been doing works out just fine for me" ...

- I have seen my share of people in the past who would swear that the lead pipes and lead-based paint in their homes never caused them any harm. They see no point in taking heed of how bad it can be for them by any of these so-called 'lilly-nilly-nay-sayers' ... (all while suffering the symptoms of its effects unknowingly).

- (or the opposite scenario) I have seen lots of folks who will swear that a 'carp' fish or 'drum' fish is poisonous (which is obviously not poisonous) when standing out on the fishing-pier at the local fresh water lake.. will stand there and swear to you that you would be poisoned by it if you try to cook one and eat it. ... All while the 3 poor-people at the edge of the pier ask for every one of them caught so they can take em home help feed their children at home instead of everyone throwing them back in the water.

- I have seen plenty of people who swore that the asbestos-based paint and ceiling tiles at the office they worked at for the past 10+ years every day never caused them any harm. See no point in listening to the statistics, because it has not effected them yet (as 3 of their retired friends suffer from lung cancer/Mesothelioma ). Why should they worry, those people trying to warn them and raise those red flags must be simply crazy.

- I have seen my share of people who will swear that adding slic-50 to their engine oil actually helped it last longer .. all while the maker of the product is being sued in court by the thousands of others that clearly show, with hard evidence, it severely harmed their engines.

- I have seen plenty of people who swear those big-name bad deletes and delete companies were the best thing they did to their ISX engines, because they have not seen any of the failures that people claim on their own equipment... so it must be OK, right? (all while 70+% of all the other engines those companies butcher suffer 75% less engine lifespan with repeated failures). Why should they believe anyone else... seems to have worked out for them.. (not knowing they are one of the few who has simply skated the known disaster due to statistics alone).

- I have seen plenty of people who swear they believe in the communist movement that is trying to take over our country ... they swear it is for the good of everyone .. they truly believe in their cause ... all while being completely racist, rioting and destroying others lives, they feel they are doing a good thing by bullying others in public for no good reason except their own brainwashed agenda, etc... and cannot see the irony in what they do whatsoever.... Try telling them how harmful it makes them look, and how bad it is to bully others into that one-sided narrative and they will just get mad instead of seeing the truth... that they are simply a puppet of a higher power who has manipulated them into this stupidity, but trying to show them this light and how ironically bad it is,... and they will fight against you tooth and nail over it.

- There are people who genuinely believe that the earth is flat ... some even going as far as killing themselves in home-made rockets just to prove their point. Try to tell them the truth and they only get mad at you and defensive, just like someone with bad deelte programming and horrible mods they had someone do to their engine will. Those big-name companies and the tens of thousands of $$$ they spent must be the way to go... otherwise, why would it be so expensive? - (self-denial is the worst to overcome of them all I think).

--==--

Why do people often strongly believe in things that are clearly against the statistics that everyone else, who now knows better tries to tell them about?... or is just flat-out wrong? (pun intended).

What drives them to believe and swear in things that obviously have no merits in logic? -- Because that is in fact what many people often times do ... They believe in what they themselves have only seen, and refuse the truth of what they might actually be facing.

One problem is the issue of time. How long someone has gotten away with driving their engine on that bad delete program ... or gotten away with working in that office building full of cancer-causing asbestos ... They will even get mad and defensive towards other people for even considering to them that what they are doing is harmful, or downright wrong. - This is how people often are... but it does not justify their stubbornness in their actions.

Here is a quote I came up with a long time ago about trucking...

Rawze Wrote:I equate that way of thinking to someone trying to get from A to B as fast as they can, -- pushing their truck as hard as it will go along the muddy road. They are trying with all their might to get somewhere, spinning tires and not getting very far, frustrated as all hell, driving all day in that mud, it holding them back and slowing them down. ---- All while getting mad and ignoring everyone around them trying to help them, calling them fools who can't possibly understand their situation. - They simply refuse to look around and see that the road they are driving on is in fact the ditch along side the freeway.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Sergiu , JimT , RocketScott , Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower , JMBT , iceman
01-16-2021, (Subject: Changing your thinking for the better ... ) 
RE: Changing your thinking for the better ...
Once some people make a decision they take it personally and cannot except they have made a mistake they become invested personally and It becomes part of who they are and how they identify themselves sometimes they see themselves as becoming part of something bigger.

To be successful in business you need to look for things that you are doing wrong or could do better and if you are married to decisions made incorrectly you may never know why you failed.

This site really is a way to slap yourself into reality
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Volvo8873 , Sergiu , JimT , Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower
I find its all in how you start tell and show someone they are wrong. No one likes to be told they're wrong. So the 1st human response is to defend themselves, no matter what the cost.

If instead of saying they're wrong, try saying "I'm not sure thats right". Most will then immediately defend themselves but curiosity should kick in and then you can begin to deconstruct what they are wrong about. Its a tactic that lowers the defense blockade people immediately put up and starts a conversation. Where it goes from there is better than an immediate fight.

Another way to start a conversation that you know is gonna go directly to an argument or a fight is to start the conversation with "Tell me why, how or what..." It gets the other person to let some of the defense down and gets them to have a conversation instead of an immediate fight.

Oh and I love the flat-earther's. Its comical and forces me to educate myself more while trying to disprove what nonsense they come up with. I think they inadvertently opened a brilliant conversation.

But as for the rocketman flat-earther Rawze mentioned, that idioticly chased his beliefs.... well, he could of used a lot more listening 1st... https://youtu.be/hrAdayUh6-4
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , Waterloo
the rocket guy makes Rawze's argument perfectly. Back when that happened I remember thinking wow this guy is so misguided and stubborn he's willing to give up his LIFE to try proving he's right?? There's just no hope for someone like that.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
If the Earth is not flat then why is not all the water at the South Pole?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
Hahaha!!! Mattman gets it!! Hahaha!!!

2 people i love watching that tackle flat-earther's every now and again are Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Anthony Cumia. Its comedy mixed with science and a whole lot of perplexing frustration at the idiocy of the whole concept.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-17-2021, (Subject: Changing your thinking for the better ... ) 
Or as Mr. Rate from Arkansas put it "They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, WMD's were in Iraq and Anna Nicole married for love."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , tree98 , Chamberpains , Volvo8873 , Waterloo
03-15-2021, (Subject: Changing your thinking for the better ... ) 
(01-16-2021 )Mattman Wrote:  If the Earth is not flat then why is not all the water at the South Pole?

Guess you were not old enough to see vetran and airshow pilot Bob Hoover pour a picture of Lipton iced tea into a glass while upside down doing a coordinated barrel roll ? Magic ? No physics . Relax I know you're just being funny. But Hoover really did it.
replyreply
03-16-2021, (Subject: Changing your thinking for the better ... ) 
There are some interesting papers on human behavior around this topic

The illusion of explanatory depth is one concept that runs through many of the examples Rawze posted. People believe they know exactly how something works, right up to the point when they need to actually explain it in detail

2017 : WHAT SCIENTIFIC TERM OR CONCEPT OUGHT TO BE MORE WIDELY KNOWN?
Quote:If you asked one hundred people on the street if they understand how a refrigerator works, most would respond, yes, they do. But ask them to then produce a detailed, step-by-step explanation of how exactly a refrigerator works and you would likely hear silence or stammering. This powerful but inaccurate feeling of knowing is what Leonid Rozenblit and Frank Keil in 2002 termed, the illusion of explanatory depth (IOED), stating, “Most people feel they understand the world with far greater detail, coherence, and depth than they really do.”

The Dunning-Kruger effect goes further by showing that not only do most people not know what they don't know, but the more they don't know the more they think they know

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.