Dump Truck Build
01-16-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
Dump Truck Build
Hey guys I check this site and read posts everyday but don’t post much myself. Mostly because the guys with the knowledge are answering questions and I am still learning. I thought I would start a thread and show what I have been up to recently. I like seeing what you guys are up to so maybe this will interest someone.

Bought a 2013 Peterbilt 388 heavy spec truck this summer with intentions of making a triaxle dump truck. It has 30,000 miles, Cummins isx, double framed and air trac rear suspension.I’ve been in the dump truck business 19 years now (since I turned 18) and have owned a couple different trucks, both Macks, and this was a move up for me(in my opinion).

Truck had a 24 foot flatbed on it when I bought it and and the wheelbase was a bit too long for what I needed, not a perfect truck but hard to buy used and hit all the qualifications necessary for a dump truck in New York. I dismounted the flatbed. I shortened the wheelbase 19”. I mounted a steerable pusher axle. I mounted a new bibeau steel box with high lift gate. I switched the fuel tank configuration around to suit my needs and mounted a stainless tool box. I put rear view camera on the back and one in the box to help load myself under a milling machine. Been at it a while and I still have more to do. Mounting strobe lights and painting the box being the main things still. After that I have all the parts sitting here I need to open up the fuel pump and replace plungers and barrels(because I have no idea what’s in there). I also have an amsoil bypass kit to put on (I am listening to you guys! Lol). I am going to try and post some pictures. Last time posted pictures they were sideways.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)
./uploads/202101/post_4942_1610845080_a9a913afca2fe1c951389ab45861c046.png
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kingman11 , PuroCumminsPower
RE: Dump Truck Build
Had to mount the cab shield to the box. It came full width, I also narrowed it to fit between the stacks

replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
For some reason my first pictures are showing upside down. Borrowed a telehandler from my buddy. Nice to have friends!

replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Well you did not go wrong getting away from MACK my brother has 6 of them and the older ones are getting damn near impossible to keep on the road. Every time you need parts for trucks that are more than 10-12 yrs old we keep hearing ummmmm there isnt any in the pdc. We will send Mack a email and see where it goes
replyreply
Wow, that's a LOT of work. Congratulations on a really nice build. Sounds like your on the right track with the bypass filter and fuel pump rebuild. Was that a typo or does that truck only have 30k miles on it?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-16-2021 )Pigpen 2869 Wrote:  Well you did not go wrong getting away from MACK my brother has 6 of them and the older ones are getting damn near impossible to keep on the road. Every time you need parts for trucks that are more than 10-12 yrs old we keep hearing ummmmm there isnt any in the pdc. We will send Mack a email and see where it goes

Yes my last truck was a 99. I had a 93 mechanical motor in it. Was starting to have a very hard time with parts. It was either upgrade or start hauling home Macks to make a junkyard for myself
replyreply
(01-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Wow, that's a LOT of work. Congratulations on a really nice build. Sounds like your on the right track with the bypass filter and fuel pump rebuild. Was that a typo or does that truck only have 30k miles on it?

It is a lot of work, biggest project I have ever done. So far everything done here in my shop. Took it to the shop down the road to check all wheel alignment after shortening wheelbase and probably will hire the painting done. But that is all the hired out stuff.
No typo, 30,000 miles. Company that owned it was in oilfield or gas field and went bankrupt in 2015. Had some worries about it sitting around. But there is no rust anywhere on this truck. It is like working on a brand new one. Between the low miles, new box and new pusher it should last me a long time. That is what I am aiming for anyway. I have a pretty rigorous preventive maintenance program anyway, but I intend to keep this truck like new.
replyreply
I figure I have about 200 hours into this project at this point. I have wrapped all new wires/ airlines with braided loom. I have used weather pack connectors on any electrical connection outside the cab. I have tried to run all air lines and wires as if they came from the factory that way. I took my time to shim the pto so it was dead nuts in the middle of the spec for backlash so it is virtually silent when it runs....etc etc. I want this project to look like it came from the factory this way. Or better than the factory in some aspects if possible. It is actually a lot of fun. I enjoy it anyway!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , redbeard , PuroCumminsPower
01-19-2021, (Subject: Dump Truck Build ) 
Getting ready to retire and one of my units is a super clean T800 with long wheelbase and originally a truck.
Thinking of adding a dump bed to it and keeping it for chore duty as clean dump trucks are nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price.
What does a new dump bed and pto run to install if I may ask?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.