Couple newbie questions...
01-17-2021, (Subject: Couple newbie questions... ) 
RE: Couple newbie questions...
That "documented" overhaul isn't good news at all. Most likely they didn't follow the proper procedures talked about here that allow you to go a million miles without problems.
The big one is cutting counterbores and shimming the liners up to .014 almost nobody does this step and you end up dropping a liner in short order and your tearing the engine apart again.
The other step that's usually skipped or half assed is replacing the head with a brand new oem head not just cleaning up your old one or using reman/aftermarket.
If I were you I would get about $25,000 together and put it aside for inframe #2 that you'll probably be looking at in the next year or two depending on how you drive it.
Also you said it had a new clutch installed recently, makes me wonder if the rear structure gasket was replaced. More often than not those start leaking not long after a trans is dropped and re installed.
When that happens you have to drop the trans again and pull the clutch, drop the oil pan, support the back of the engine block in order to remove the rear structure and also replace the rear engine mounts while your there.
I don't think you mentioned if the truck is still mandated? If it is it might be time to bake the cans or maybe even replace them depending on age.
Oh I almost forgot about the exploding fuel pump of death!! If you haven't yet replaced the guts in that pump, I wouldn't even drive it anymore until you do!! Seriously it's that big of a deal.
There's a lot more but those are some of the most important things I can think of.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , amermextrucker
01-17-2021, (Subject: Couple newbie questions... ) 
(01-17-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  That "documented" overhaul isn't good news at all. Most likely they didn't follow the proper procedures talked about here that allow you to go a million miles without problems.
The big one is cutting counterbores and shimming the liners up to .014 almost nobody does this step and you end up dropping a liner in short order and your tearing the engine apart again.
The other step that's usually skipped or half assed is replacing the head with a brand new oem head not just cleaning up your old one or using reman/aftermarket.
If I were you I would get about $25,000 together and put it aside for inframe #2 that you'll probably be looking at in the next year or two depending on how you drive it.
Also you said it had a new clutch installed recently, makes me wonder if the rear structure gasket was replaced. More often than not those start leaking not long after a trans is dropped and re installed.
When that happens you have to drop the trans again and pull the clutch, drop the oil pan, support the back of the engine block in order to remove the rear structure and also replace the rear engine mounts while your there.
I don't think you mentioned if the truck is still mandated? If it is it might be time to bake the cans or maybe even replace them depending on age.
Oh I almost forgot about the exploding fuel pump of death!! If you haven't yet replaced the guts in that pump, I wouldn't even drive it anymore until you do!! Seriously it's that big of a deal.
There's a lot more but those are some of the most important things I can think of.

Fuel pump and head were replaced with overhaul (performed by kenworth), clutch was replaced since engine was out as preventative maintenance. All I've got is parts list so not sure on procedure they followed for overhaul but I'll probably end up replacing the fuel pump over the summer again just to play it safe.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-29-2021, (Subject: Couple newbie questions... ) 
just an FYI: ...

I was at Mr. Hags today for a while. Someone was there with a truck with an X15.

I used my oldest Inline-5 adapter with it no problem. I also used Insite 7.6.2 to read and reset codes. The descriptions of some codes did not match up with the actual faults but the fault code numbers themselves were reading ok.

I think Insite 8.5 would be better for an X15 but the old inline-5 adapter I had worked like a champ.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
01-30-2021, (Subject: Couple newbie questions... ) 
(01-17-2021 )Kc0stp Wrote:  Fuel pump and head were replaced with overhaul (performed by kenworth), clutch was replaced since engine was out as preventative maintenance. All I've got is parts list so not sure on procedure they followed for overhaul but I'll probably end up replacing the fuel pump over the summer again just to play it safe.

Right there "Performed by Kenworth" those words answer that question... So No you counter bores were not touched unless one was messed up, and in that event they were set between 7 and 9 and most defiantly NOT 13 or 14.

Suggest you VERY closely study that parts list because when the dealers do a rebuild they ONLY change whats "OUT OF SPEC" and quite frankly "SPEC" is a 300K engine rebuild..

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.