CM870 Winter Oil
01-20-2021, (Subject: CM870 Winter Oil ) 
CM870 Winter Oil
HI,

Just looking for recommendations for oil to use in the winter for my CM870. I run Shell 15W40 for the summer/fall. Its due for a change now, and we're going to start winter here finally with temps into the -30C range. Should i stay with the 15w40, or go to a 5w40 or 0w40? is it ok to switch from conventional oils to synthetics i guess is what I'm concerned about.
replyreply
RE: CM870 Winter Oil
I'm guessing you aren't able to plug in the block heater over night?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
The solution for extreme cold starts would be a synthetic designs with cold weather in mind for the prevention of excess thickening. Syn oils are not superior but they do have the advantage in extreme temps vs conventional dyno oils.

of course, once the engine heats up to operating temps ... the advantage of synthetic goes away.. so the Q. would be is it cheaper to invest in a block heater (electric or diesel-fired) .. or use the syn. That would be a matter of application I suppose. I would think at -30C, a kerosine or diesel-fired block heater would be the better solution, as even a synthetic would have some troubles in those extremes.

just my limited viewpoint of it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-21-2021, (Subject: CM870 Winter Oil ) 
Over the years i have tried to find the best solution for oils in extreme cold like you. Hands down the best combo i found is 0w40 plus a espar/websto with the exhaust pointed toward the side of the oil pan, with the truck sheltered somehow to reduce your heat loss generated by whatever engine heater your using. Use some commonsense not to get the heater exhaust pipe close, or if its covered in oil it could be a fire hazard... (im guessing you know this) lol! Im not preaching synthetic is the only oil to use but i believe it does help vs 15w40.

The truth is even 0w40 is like glue at those temps. You just have to get some heat into the oil somehow to make a difference. This is were i like the espar/websto vs the plug in block heater. They have the ability to generate much more BTU and generally heat more of the block. Increasing the transfer of heat into the oil, and the heater exhaust is bonus.

The negatives are probably obvious. Syn oil is expensive (I personalty don't extend change intervals.) But being for farm use i don't put the miles on like most people do.

Diesel heaters are a cost and will require some up keep. Ive also typically noticed at operating temp you will loose a small amount of oil pressure not just on the CM870 but Detroit series 60 and John Deere as well. I cant speak to switching back and forth from Dino to syn?? Hope this helps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-21-2021, (Subject: CM870 Winter Oil ) 
I'll throw this in from my own personal observation when in framing my motor at Rawze's house. Gear oil. When we tore down the motor, that is the first thing that hit me in the nose, that smell of gear oil. It coated everything with a nice film, everything it touched it left a coating. Just a thought, I would imagine it would still be there at -30 to help with those cold starts.

Myself, if it is that cold, when working up in North Dakota, and Alaska, we left the motors running, but you know that. The electric block heaters did not do much in that cold weather, I would go with a Webasto or Espar heater. We also tarped the trucks when they sat, over the hood, front and around the sides, along with trying to park them out of the wind, but in a spot where the sun could still hit them when it came out. Again, I am sure you know that... ;-)

In ND, I knew of some outfits that installed the kerosene/diesel block heaters, they ran a small tank of kerosene separate from the diesel tanks to feed the block heater. This set up worked quite well.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.