Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket
07-28-2016, (Subject: Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket ) 
Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket
I seem to have something leaking from the #5 exhaust gasket. I would assume that it is oil. I can't really tell, it doesn't seem to have an odor. And since I work in a lot of dusty areas it collects a lot of dirt around it. It started leaking about a month ago, when the outside temp started staying hot. It's a 2250 with 526000 on it.
Do I need a new head? I hope not. Any advice will be appreciated
replyreply
RE: Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket
(07-28-2016 )overshot Wrote:  I seem to have something leaking from the #5 exhaust gasket. I would assume that it is oil. I can't really tell, it doesn't seem to have an odor. And since I work in a lot of dusty areas it collects a lot of dirt around it. It started leaking about a month ago, when the outside temp started staying hot. It's a 2250 with 526000 on it.
Do I need a new head? I hope not. Any advice will be appreciated

It might be a valve guide. You may end up having to remove the exhaust manifold to see if the valve stem(s) are wet with oil.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Ok.
I'll have to find a place to where I can work on it.
No trucks are allowed at my house. And the gravel lot I was using (I always cleaned up after myself) is now closed due to construction. I'm gonna have to look around.
May have to come see you.
replyreply
I hope it is not coolant for your sake. If it is dropped liner is very commen on #5 for some reason.
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  I hope it is not coolant for your sake. If it is dropped liner is very commen on #5 for some reason.
Wouldn't there be coolant in the oil?
replyreply
not always i have seen lots of engines with dropped liner with not a drop of coolant in the oil. This thiery of coolant being in the oil every time the gasket or head fails is wrong. It is the way the coolant passages are close to the liner. Sometimes the exhaust pressure goes right down beside the liner after headgasket fails due to the liner sitting lower in the block. I very rarely see coolant in the oil when the liner drops. This is a major problem in the cm2250.
replyreply
Do all cm2250 have this problem with the liners?
replyreply
For the most part yes I think it has to do with medal used. Hell i just got overhaul kit for cm2250 and right on top of the liners it says cummins made in china.
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  For the most part yes I think it has to do with medal used. Hell i just got overhaul kit for cm2250 and right on top of the liners it says cummins made in china.

Wow!! Did cummins make a overhaul kit that fixed all the dropped liners? And how much for kit?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.