Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket
07-28-2016, (Subject: Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket ) 
RE: Something leaking from #5 exhaust gasket
Once the counterbores are cut and the liners are shimmed up it stops the problem due to a different metal between the liner and block.
replyreply
How much does the kit cost? Or in other words for overhaul with new head
replyreply
Damn I guess I'm gonna have to do an in frame or buy a new truck.
But guess they're always some kind of issue, even with new trucks.
What is the expected down time for to do an inframe.
Ive heard 10 days, 5 weeks, 2 months and so on.
The longer it takes the more it cost, just sayin.
replyreply
Stuff like this makes me not want to even drive my truck. Now I know why big companies get rid of they're truck after warranty is over and before the problems start happening. Then we come and buy the truck and start dumping $ left and right!!
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  For the most part yes I think it has to do with medal used. Hell i just got overhaul kit for cm2250 and right on top of the liners it says cummins made in china.
Do the 2350 have the same issues. Or just different issues.
replyreply
Only cm2250 had the liner and the ceramic plungers that break and take our ur engine
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  Stuff like this makes me not want to even drive my truck. Now I know why big companies get rid of they're truck after warranty is over and before the problems start happening. Then we come and buy the truck and start dumping $ left and right!!

Even with a new truck, warranty is not a guarantee you will stay in business unless you have a VERY large cash reserve. When the 2007 models hit the market even the big boys where crying. I talked to one O/O that bought a new KW and had 4 MONTHS of downtime the first year! I know another case, large drug store chain with over 100 trucks that had a hard time keeping half of them on the road. Any wonder they dumped them as soon as warranty was up? Big companies really don't have the patience or enough mechanics to pay close attention to each unit. It's more like triage, best they can do is stop the bleeding if they're lucky. Even then it depends on having drivers with enough mechanical knowledge to write it up and get it into the shop before it shuts down on the road. Hell,most don't even know the difference between Cummins,Detroit etc. etc. I've called for Ryder road sevice knowing exactly what the problem is and have to answer 20 stupid questions before I can ever get to the problem. "Is the truck off the road?", "Is it on fire?", "What COLOR is the engine?" Really?

When it comes to our truck, at least my wife has a clue and can tell me what's wrong. Only downside to that is I'm the road service most of the time.
The answer to that is making sure it's good to go,always!

To answer the question about downtime for an inframe, plan on 4 weeks. depending on how competent the shop doing the work is and gathering parts.

I would HIGHLY recommend Gearhead. It's been getting a workout since then, almost every load has been at or near gross and runs like a beast!
Finally the oil is staying clean. Bypass filter is going on this weekend just for extra insurance, just had to fab a bracket.

Now that we have been through the engine inframe and it can breathe, I'm confident it can go a million with TLC.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
To answer the original question is there an air conditioning hose above #5 if so it could very well just be water just dripping from the hose sweating while driving.
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )marek4792 Wrote:  To answer the original question is there an air conditioning hose above #5 if so it could very well just be water just dripping from the hose sweating while driving.

Yes there is. And I've considered that. It's possible, but when I wiped the area it felt oily. But no odor. I have cleaned it and am watching it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.