RIP CM2250, 2013, 800,000km 20,000 hrs
02-09-2021, (Subject: RIP CM2250, 2013, 800,000km 20,000 hrs ) 
RE: RIP CM2250, 2013, 800,000km 20,000 hrs
(02-09-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-08-2021 )Hermjeji Wrote:  So, can a bad turbo make 50 lbs of boost? The mech. said my turbo was gone, went and took a look at it as well, looks like it's got a decent bit of play in the lateral directions. Mech said he found a good used one, when he installed it, said the turbo was just spooling all over the place during startup, moving between 18-50 lbs of boost. I know these heads can't take more than 35+ lbs of boost (around there). My question is, can the turbo actually do this if it's bad? Or is something else going on.

I'm debating between a rebuilt or new turbo. But am just shocked that a bad turbo is making more boost than a good one? Truck is mandated.

if it was the wrong turbo then it can possibly over-boost.

if it was not calibrated properly, it can over-boost.

if the program in the ecm does not match the cpl of the enigne it can over-boost.

if the actuator is hanging up, it can over-boost.

======================

even so, sounds to me that someone does not know what they are doing. The engine cannot make 50+ lbs boost without throwing several alarms for over-boosting and turbo over-spooling.

BTW: there IS SUPPOSED TO BE SIDE-PLAY IN THE TURBINE!!!! -- THAT SIDE-PLAY SHOULD BE 0.045" OR LESS! ... DID ANYONE MEASURE IT OR DID THEY JUST GUESS LIKE A DUMB S$IT!??. ---== Was the housing chewed up? ===--?

============

also, if the engine is built right, you should not have to break it in on a dyno. Just drive the piSS out of it first few days and stay away from the highest engine brake setting for the first 50k miles. Have the valves re-adjusted in it after the 50k miles .. and then you can use the engine brakes on highest setting after that.

Thanks for the feedback Rawze. I'm learning slowly, but from the above it could be either the wrong turbo (as I haven't seen the used one) or not calibrated properly. They SHOULD have just used the same program in the ecm that was originally there...right? It was stock file for the engine. The actuator wasn't hanging, I asked that question as well.

The housing seemed fine, not claiming i can feel 0.045". I'm being offered a temp turbo for a week (out of a 2015 ISX that's running fine) while I potentially go and get mine rebuilt. I'll take a closer look at that turbo with measurements and ask them to recalibrate.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RIP CM2250, 2013, 800,000km 20,000 hrs - Hermjeji - 02-09-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.