Fuel Pump of Death - ISX. What to do and when to stop worrying?
01-29-2021, (Subject: Fuel Pump of Death - ISX. What to do and when to stop worrying? ) 
Fuel Pump of Death - ISX. What to do and when to stop worrying?
So, the yard I park my truck at has a few ISX's. Here are my questions:

What year engines is the fuel pump of death with the ceramic plungers on?

2012-2015 CM2250 and CM2350 looks like they al have the same fuel pump. The 2017 CM2350 has an extra tag ontop of the same fuel pump. The X15's look to have an updated style of fuel pump.

I've got a 2015 and 2017 (the other last cummins I have is dead (2013 ISX600) as posted elsewhere due to this fuel pump). What are the maintenance procedures/recommendations on this.

2015 - 200,000kms 11,000 hrs
2017 - 350,000kms 10,000 hrs
replyreply
01-29-2021, (Subject: Fuel Pump of Death - ISX. What to do and when to stop worrying? ) 
RE: Fuel Pump of Death - ISX. What to do and when to stop worrying?
Ceramic or steel, they all fail, and still do on the newest ISX motors. Rebuild fuel pumps prior to 400,000 miles. And who knows how long Cummins will offer the rebuild kits, as they can sell you a new pump for around $6000... And that day will come, kits no longer available. And there are no guarantees these pumps will go 400,000 miles, so all folks driving these trucks should be made aware of what codes to watch for when a pump cuts loose. A low fuel pressure code I believe is the first code that pops. When it does, the motor should immediately be shut down, and a hook called. Drive it further, and you know the ending. And even if you catch it in time, it can cost as much as an in frame to repair, and there are no guarantees all of that metal shrapenal will not come back to haunt you later on.

And if you are thinking of throwing a used fuel pump on a motor fresh from the scrap yard, you are being a fool. If you need a pump, fine, just make sure you take the time to rebuild it. The kits run around $500 last I heard. The instructions to rebuild are on Quickserve.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , Toolguy
(01-29-2021 )Hermjeji Wrote:  So, the yard I park my truck at has a few ISX's. Here are my questions:

What year engines is the fuel pump of death with the ceramic plungers on?

2012-2015 CM2250 and CM2350 looks like they al have the same fuel pump. The 2017 CM2350 has an extra tag ontop of the same fuel pump. The X15's look to have an updated style of fuel pump.

I've got a 2015 and 2017 (the other last cummins I have is dead (2013 ISX600) as posted elsewhere due to this fuel pump). What are the maintenance procedures/recommendations on this.

2015 - 200,000kms 11,000 hrs
2017 - 350,000kms 10,000 hrs

There is no "year to stop worrying". They ALL FAIL! .... the only difference in the older pumps with the ceramic plungers and the very newest pumps is that the older pumps failed more violently. - ALL OF THE pumps for a common rail ISX engine fail and do severe damage when they do so. All of them destroy the entire engine quickly when they go out. There is no "cut-off" date or design change so far that has helped by very much at all.

Like Waterloo mentioned. Replace the tappets, plungers, and barrels (the guts of the fuel pump) every 400k miles and it mostly prevents this issue.

ONLY the older pre-2010 designed (twin cam ISX) CM871, CM870, CM570 engines that had no common rail design did not have this problem.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RollinCoal , Pd6cas2 , John Doe , Toolguy
I thought they figured out how to contain the shrapnel on the X15 pumps?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-29-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  I thought they figured out how to contain the shrapnel on the X15 pumps?

That is still up in the air to see. Isolating the fuel pump oil lines does not make the pump last any longer so it is going to fail just the same. How the isolated oil feed lines do to protect the rst of the engine from destruction remains to be seen.

The thoughts that run thru my hear are some person who's fuel pump is chewing itself up but still operates somewhat (because that is common when they fail), the metal flakes making their way past the oil filter, like has been seen plenty of times in the past, and the titanium and other metal particles eating the guts out of the entire engine anyways. -- Hopefully I am wrong, only time can tell that story.

- Personally, I think they should have just installed a metal particle detector in the oil system with a shutdown alarm. I know if I owned one of those engines that would be one of the first things I would want.

here is one of those types of sensors...
https://www.amot.com/pub/media/product_s...19rev6.pdf

and here is just one of many dozens of related fuel pump failure stories for those who are new here: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid15389

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.